Campus Celebrity: Danie Minor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Danie Minor is a self-proclaimed “PR-loving Diva”.  This Maryland native is a junior studying Public Relations with minors in Fashion Media Writing and Marketing. In her spare time she runs a blog called Defingindanie.com with the help of her Gold Status at Starbucks.

Her Campus: How did you get involved in blogging?

Danie Minor: At the end of my freshman year of college I attended Beautycon, which is a conference that combines people’s love of social media and the beauty industry. At the conference there was a panel of social media gurus, some of which were bloggers. I had always thought of starting my own blog, but I was really nervous about it. A few members of the panel really inspired me to just go out there and do it, and not worry what others thought.

HC: Starting your own blog seems like a very large task, how did you get going?

DM: I started the day after Beautycon while I was really inspired. I called my friend who is skilled at Web Design and told her I wanted to start this. Within a month we had chosen which platform I’d use and decided on areas I’d cover. With a lot of fun-filled long nights Defining Danie was born!

HC: What areas do you cover and which is your favorite?

DM: Areas that I cover include beauty, fashion, and college lifestyle. My favorite posts that I write are my Thrifty Thursdays. I go out to different thrift stores to find an outfit for around $20 to show you do not have to spend a lot to look good!

HC: What is your favorite thrifting find?

DM: My favorite things to thrift are vests and quarter-zip sweaters that I take to get monogrammed in downtown Kent for only $5!  Finds like this could cost $50 if you find them online but my personalized thrifting find is only around $8.

HC: That’s amazing! Do you have any blogger role models?

DM: One of my blogging inspirations is Katherine Tabinowski who runs styletabblog.com. I love her style and fresh approach to social media. Katherine runs the Her Campus Blogger Network that I am a member of.

HC: Do you have any advice for someone who wants to start their own blog?

DM: I recently received a great piece of advice, which was to “Work hard and play nice”. I I think that this really will help you in the blogging sphere because some bloggers do become competitive as they grow to be more popular. Blogging will open many doors for you so be creative!

In addition to being a blogger Danie is also a writer for Her Campus Kent State. Check out her article on How to Start Your Own Blog.

Sarah Cahn

Kent State

Ciao! My name is Sarah and I am a graduate student working towards my MBA. I graduated from Kent in May with a degree in Fashion Merchandising. I am a gluten free world traveler, wine lover, and Olsen enthusiast.