This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Every girl dreams of becoming a princess, but sophomore fashion design student Callie Duty became one step closer a few weeks ago at a fashion design competition in New York City.

Her Campus: Tell us about the competition!Callie Duty: J.C. Penny decided to push their new Disney products by having this competition. They brought in a replica of the Cinderella dress from the new movie and had design students illustrate a modern twist on the dress in one hour.

HC: How did you get chosen to go?CD: I was chosen by the Fashion School to be one of the nine Kent State students to represent Kent State in the competition.

HC: Were you able to meet any interesting people?CD: Yes! The judges were Jeffrey Henning (VP of Design at JCP) and Nina Garcia (Creative Director of Marie Claire Magazine and Project Runway Judge), Charlotte Ronson (designer), and Katie Holmes.

HC: What happens with the winning design?CD: One person’s design was chosen. Their dress is being made and will be displayed in the J.C. Penny Manhattan store window.

HC: What was your favorite part of the trip?CD: Overall, it was just really fun! Throughout the process J.C. Penny was really generous to all of the students. During the hour we were sketching we had a DJ there and there was media all around. The energy was really great! I loved being able to share my creative thoughts with those judging the competition.

HC: Did you have time to do any sightseeing while in New York?CD: I was there for almost 6 days. I went to The MoMA, fabric shopping, and poked around at different restaurants and stores. I was able to dress at two shows during New York Fashion Week! I also attended Hillsong United NYC.

HC: What’s your dream job?CD: I’m really interested in trend forecasting and also womenswear.

HC: What’s your favorite part about the fashion school?CD: The community and the overall friendliness of students and staff as well as how committed the faculty is to our education with their time and resources.

HC: Advice to any students who want to pursue a career in design?CD: In whatever area of fashion you go into, pursue something you enjoy and are challenged creatively in and don’t betray your values or work ethic.

HC: Were you able to get a sneak peek of the Cinderella movie?CD: Unfortunately, no, but I can’t wait to see it!

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.