Campus Celebrities: Sarah Cahn and Colleen Landers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Twice a year the fashion industry gathers in New York City for New York Fashion Week. The streets are filled with top notch fashion executives, bloggers, and celebrities that have come to see their favorite designer’s newest creations. For many girls, especially those at The Fashion School, attending fashion week sounds like a dream come true. This week, we interviewed our two editors, Sarah and Colleen, who had the privilege of volunteering for this fall’s NYFW!

Her Campus: What Fashion Week shows did you volunteer for?

Sarah Cahn: We volunteered for many shows this season including Carolina Herrera, Lacoste, Mara Hoffman, Herve Leger by Max Azria, Nanette Lepore, Betsey Johnson, and Naeem Khan.

Colleen Landers: Some others were Pamella Roland, Badgley Mischka, Anna Sui, Erin Fetherston, and Noon by Noor!

HC: How did you get that opportunity?

Sarah: My big sister in my sorority, Caitlin Craig, told me about it and gave me the contact info.

Colleen: I volunteered through IMG. Other opportunities include going through Mercedes Benz.

HC: What were your responsibilities as a volunteer?

Sarah: We had to secure seats for guests of sponsors in each venue and escort the guests to their seats.

Colleen: There were three different venues we would have to seat for: The Salon,The Theatre, and The Pavilion.

HC: What are your fashion week essentials?

Sarah: An extra battery for my phone, lipstick, and a lot of Starbucks!

Colleen: Band-Aids. Being on your feet all day long, blisters are bound to happen. 

HC: Do you have any advice for people who want to volunteer for fashion week in the future?

Sarah: Wear comfortable shoes! I know it is fashion week and you will want to be wearing your highest heels, but you will be on your feet the entire day.

Colleen:  Don’t be afraid to make connections and talk to as many people as you can! Also, be sure to have the app HopStop on your phone for getting around the city.

HC: Did you have any celebrity sightings?

Sarah: I was able to meet my favorite super model, Coco Rocha, and the Hilton sisters. There were so many sightings I lost track!

Colleen: So many celebs! Grace Coddington, Nina Garcia, Whitney Port, Coco Rocha, The Hilton sisters, Ben Stiller, Kelly Cutrone, and Luis from Million Dollar Listing! 

HC: What was your favorite part about the experience?

Sarah: I loved being in the heart of the action and being in New York City every day.

Colleen: Seeing how things work behind the scenes. When you’re there working, it’s not as glamorous as you’d think, which is strangely relaxing. 

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.