Campus Celeb: Alair Boshela

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Recently, a number of beauty brands have been focusing more on natural ingredients and recyclable packaging. Alair Boshela has decided to take things one step further by making all of her beauty products from scratch.

Age: 18

Year in school: Sophomore

Major/minor: Fashion Merchandising with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Marketing

Hometown: Hudson, Ohio

Her Campus: What inspired you to start making your own beauty products?Alair Boshela: I’ve always been decently conscious of what I eat and what goes in my body, but I started to realize that what goes ON my body matters just as much as what goes in it. So once I discovered all of the chemicals and preservatives found in many beauty products, I decided I couldn’t justify putting those ingredients on my skin anymore.

HC: How/when did you learn to make your own products?AB: This past summer is when I started actually making my own products. I just did some online research and found some great blogs and DIY YouTube videos, and from there, that inspired me to put my own spin on certain products.

Alair’s body butter in the making

HC: What types of products do you make?AB: Body lotion and butter, facial lotion, facial astringent, spa masks, make-up powder, lip balms, mascara, eye liner, deodorant, toothpaste, bath bombs, leave-in conditioner and pillow spray. The list will grow!

HC: What is the advantage to making these products yourself versus buying them in the store?AB: I really enjoy making beauty products myself—I find comfort knowing exactly what is in it. I actually grow a lot of the ingredients I use in the products, such as lavender, chamomile, aloe vera, etc. Also, once you have all of the basic ingredients for DIY beauty products, you use a lot the same ingredients for different recipes, so in reality, it saves you a ton of money making your own items.

Alair’s lip balm with some of her favorite essential oils

HC: What’s your favorite product to make? What do you put in it?AB: I love making all of the products, but my favorite is probably the lip balm. It’s so versatile. I always use a base of beeswax and almond oil mixed with castor oil, then I add peppermint essential oil if I want a Burt’s Bees imitation lip balm, vitamin E oil or cocoa butter for extra moisture, or any lip-safe essential oil for a different feel and scents.

HC: What are two of your favorite ingredients?AB: My two favorite ingredients right now are aloe vera and peppermint essential oil. I use both of them way more than I probably need to!

A bottle of homemade pillow spray

HC: What do you enjoy most about making your own beauty products?AB: What I enjoy most is knowing all the ingredients going on my body are harmless, natural, and safe. I also thoroughly clean and re-use old makeup containers for most of my personal products, so it’s a great way to recycle, as well.

HC: Do you have any advice for someone who wants to start making their own beauty products? What’s a good starting point?AB: My advice is to do some research to see what the common ingredients are in the products you would want to make, and start with some simple recipes to get the hang of it. Also, stock up on essential oils—you will use them in everything!

Alair even makes her own eyeliner!

HC: Would you ever consider selling your products?AB: Absolutely! If I knew people were interested in purchasing the products, I would love to make more for others.

HC: Is there anything else you’d like to tell the Her Campus readers?AB: Do some research, purchase a few base ingredients, and have fun! It is a lot easier than people think. You will feel so accomplished after making a product, and you’ll know that you’re not only benefiting yourself, but you’re also benefiting the environment.

Senior public relations major with a passion for writing and all things beauty.