Brittney Prather on Fashion, NYC and Joining a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Brittney Prather is a junior public relations major with a marketing and fashion media minor. Prather was born in Seattle, grew up in Chicago and now resides in Canton, Michigan. Her Campus sat down with Prather to talk about her summer plans in NYC and her feelings about joining a sorority in the fall. 

Her Campus: Why did you choose your major and minors?

Brittney Prather: Because I love working with people and I love fashion. I thought it would be awesome to incorporate both of my passions into one career.

HC: What is your dream job?

BP: I want to live in L.A and do entertainment public relations. I want to either work with festivals such as Coachella or Bonaroo, or work with the fashion realm of Los Angeles. I hope with hard work that I will be able to figure out exactly where I want to be in life.

HC: What are your summer plans?

BP: I want to work out, get back in shape and travel to see my friends in Pittsburgh, Chicago and Cleveland. I am also doing the fashion program and interning in NYC.

HC: Where are you interning?

BP: Agentry PR

HC: What do you plan on doing in NYC, besides going to school and your internship?

BP: I aspire to make a good name for myself and make connections with new people during my internship. I am also going to explore New York City and shop until I drop. I can’t say I’m not stoked to work with Men’s Fashion Week.

HC: Are you nervous about traveling and spending the summer in NYC by yourself?

BP: I feel a little apprehensive because New York is a huge city with people of all types. I am excited, but a little scared because I will be completely out of my comfort zone. I am also painfully directionally challenged so this will be interesting.

HC: Describe your sense of style.

BP: My style is always changing, so I can’t say I have a set style. But I am obsessed with hats and try to pair it with any outfit I can.

HC: Do you have any fashion advice?

BP: Don’t wear panties with leggings, please. Underwear lines are the worst.

HC: What are you looking forward to this fall semester?

BP: I am looking forward to going through recruitment and joining a sorority.

HC: Why are you deciding to go through recruitment?

BP: Because I feel like it would be a great opportunity to make new friends and a great addition to my college experience. I don’t want to graduate always wandering “what if” and missing out on something that could help me grow as a person.

HC: What excites you most about joining a sorority?

BP: I am excited about meeting new people, date parties and getting an experience I won’t be able to get outside of college.

HC: Are you nervous or scared for going through recruitment as a junior?

BP: I am a little nervous because I feel like most sororities are looking to recruit freshman, but at the same time I think it will be fun. If I don’t get recruited, I will know that I tried and it won’t be the end of the world.

HC: What’s an interesting fact about you?

BP: I guess something interesting is I love to research weird scientific wonders when I’m bored, and I will watch YouTube videos on them for hours.

HC: What are some things you like to do in your free time?

BP: I like to run, dance, eat, but when I actually do have free time I really enjoy reading a good book outside or inside on a rainy day.

HC: What’s your favorite piece of advice?

BP: Being happy doesn’t mean everything’s perfect. It means you’ve decided to look past the imperfections.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about Kent?

BP: My favorite thing about Kent is the football team. Just kidding, but I really enjoy all the different clubs that Kent has to offer and I love all the friends that I have made here.

HC: What do you wish you knew going into college that you know now?

BP: I wish I knew how many distractions there were. College isn’t really that hard, it is the distractions that keep me from being the best student I could be.

Follow Brittney Prather on social media: 

Twitter: @BrittneyPrather

Instagram: @brittneyprather

Pop culture enthusiast, adventure seeker, lover of all things purple and an expert on Marilyn Monroe.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.