This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Breaking up (or being broken up with) is definitely a four-letter word. In this era of constant communication, a person can feel major withdrawal symptoms when distancing themselves from a previous significant other. Another issue that arises is the fact that we’re living through a global pandemic. This means spending a lot more time at home, alone. Since we can’t go to the bars, parties, or get drinks with our friends with the hopes of finding someone new, we need to rely on different things to help distract ourselves. Thankfully there are a lot of different things to watch and listen to when we need to stop wallowing and feel better (even if it’s only temporary.) While feeling all the emotions and crying it out is healthy, you also need to remind yourself that you’re a catch, and this pain will eventually subside. Here are the best things to help you get through the worsts of the breakup.

Sex and The City 

The nice thing about Sex and The City is that the cast is literally always having boy problems. Carrie actually makes a living off of her and her friend’s issues with men. It took all of them 10 years to finally find “the one” and even though that is a little excessive, at least you can watch this show and know that you haven’t dated half the losers that they have and that you have plenty of time to find your match.

Gilmore Girls 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhv1l_QsgUU

Rory and Lorelai Gilmore are very clueless when it comes to their relationships. Everyone knows that Lorelai and Luke are supposed to be together, but it takes them forever to finally do it, and then Lorelai screws it all up. Rory rejects Logan’s marriage proposal even though she loves him, only to have an affair with for like 10 years. If there are two women who can make you feel better about your relationship choices, it’s these two.

Broad City 

Broad City is a funny female-centric show that doesn’t revolve around romantic relationships. This show follows the lives of Ilana Wexler and Abbi Abrams as they try to navigate their lives in New York City. Broad City will make not only make you laugh but will also help you romanticize living the single life with your best friend.

Bangerz (Miley Cyrus) 

Bangerz was released after Miley Cyrus first broke up with Liam Hemsworth. This album will definitely put you in a “forget your ex” state of mind. It also will definitely boost your mood. Cyrus is very relatable throughout this album and while there are some sadder songs on the tracklist, most of them will put you in a hype mood.

Future Nostalgia (Dua Lipa)

Dua Lipa’s album Future Nostalgia is a really great hype album. It also deals with leaving your ex behind and having a good time on your own. Future Nostalgia is full of fun pop songs that will not only motivate you but will also make you feel hopeful about finding love again.

Lemonade (Beyoncé)

This one is self-explanatory. Feeling a little resentful about your relationship? So is Beyoncé, and there’s no better album to get those angry feelings out to. It’s also comforting to know that even queen Bey herself has boy troubles.

Melodrama (Lorde) 

Melodrama is an almost perfect breakup album. It starts with Lorde falling in love and quickly evolves into heartbreak. Even though this album is about losing love, it also deals with embracing yourself which is very important for every young woman to do.

Legally Blonde

Another self-explanatory classic, Legally Blonde follows Elle Woods’s ambition to become good enough for her Harvard-bound boyfriend. By the end of the movie, Elle realizes that she was always good enough and that her ex just kinda sucked. Legally Blonde is also very funny and unfortunately gets written off as a chick flick, but it’s much more than that.

John Tucker Must Die

A girl gang comes together to destroy a man. Nothing else really needs to be said, but John Tucker Must Die is a good reminder that for every John Tucker, there are boys like Scott Tucker, John Tucker’s younger brother better known as the “other Tucker” who is definitely dateable.

High Fidelity 

A 2000’s classic. Even though High Fidelity is technically a love story, it is also a story about going through many breakups. Even though John Cusack eventually finds love, it’s comforting to watch him go through a lot of breakups and end up being just fine.

Remember, no matter how hard your breakup is, you’ll get through it and you will eventually meet someone new. 

Grace Christopher

Kent State '22

Grace Christopher is a Graduate student in Journalism and Mass Communication at Kent State University. She graduated from Youngstown State University in May with her Bachelor's in History and Political Science.