The Best Summer Festivals in Greater Cleveland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

As the semester winds down and finals are right around the corner, we know you’re getting anxious about being totally finished for the semester. With every blissful summer month, there is always something going on, be it in Downtown Kent, Akron or Cleveland. Listed below are a number of festivals and events going on this summer. There’s bound to be something for everyone! 

Kent:

Main Street Kent Art and Wine Festival: 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. June 4

This is the tenth year the Art & Wine Festival will be held in Downtown Kent. A number of Ohio wineries attending this event including Barrel Run Crossing, Gervasi Vineyard and the Winery at Wolf Creek. Dozens of local artists will also showcase their work. There will be live music, and food vendors including Brimfield Bread Oven, Kent Cheesemonger and Premiere Crepes.

Heritage Festival:  July 2

This annual, day-long celebration will feature food booths, craft booths and live music. The night will end with the Jeff Graham Memorial Fireworks, which will begin at 9:45 p.m. off Mogadore Road in Downtown Kent.

Kent Blues Fest: July 15

Free live blues shows are scheduled at 23 local businesses in Downtown Kent from 5 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Use this venue map to plan your night with ease.

Akron:

Each year, Blossom Music Center offers a Country Megaticket: a season pass to all participating headlining musicians who will be performing at Blossom over the summer. For all of you country music lovers, this summer’s lineup will include:

May 20– Dierks Bentley, May 26- Kenny Chesney, June 3- Dixie Chicks, June 24- Zac Brown Band, June 25- Rascal Flatts, July 15- Keith Urban, July 28- Miranda Lambert, August 5- Toby Keith, August 11- Luke Bryan, August 12- Luke Bryan, August 26- Darius Rucker, September 9- Florida Georgia Line, September 16- Brad Paisley and September 23- Jason Aldean.

Other artists coming to Blossom this summer include:

May 21- Dave Matthews Band      

June 4- Florence & the Machine   

June 26- Bad Company & Joe Walsh      

June 29- Journey & The Doobie Brothers   

July 20- Vans Warped Tour 

July 13- Disturbed & Breaking Benjamin    

July 27- G-Eazy & Logic

August 9- Blink-182 & All American Rejects

August 10- Josh Groban    

August 14- Snoop Dogg & Whiz Khalifa

August 19- Hank Williams, Jr.

August 24- Rob Zombie

August 29- Def Leppard

Blossom Music Center, Salute to America: July 2-4 at dusk

Blossom will also be showing fireworks in honor of the 4th of July.

The 59th Annual Father’s Day Classic, Antique & Collector Car Show: June 19 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The show will feature over 400 different antique and collectors cars manufactured between 1925-1990. The Father’s Day Classic will be held at the Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens. It’s presented by the Ohio Region Classic Car Club of America.

Akron-Canton Comic Con: June 26 from 10a.m. to 4 p.m.

Hosted at the Chapparells Community Center, this year marks the 25th year of Northeast Ohio’s best comic book show. Featuring comic books, comic collectables, cosplay and sci-fi, there will be 56 dealer/exhibitor tables. Admission is $5, and children 6 and under enter free.

Taste of Akron: July 21 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

The 11th annual Taste of Akron marks the beginning of the Akron Arts Expo. Held at Hardesty Park, local area restaurants will cook up appetizers, entrees and desserts to serve while a live band plays throughout the night. Tickets are $2 each and food samples cost 1, 2 or 3 tickets. Admission is free.

Summer Uncorked! 2016: July 22 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

The second day of the Akron Arts Expo, Summer Uncorked, will be held under the Arts Expo tent at Hardesty Park. This event will feature over 150 wines and a variety of craft beers, as well as a sampling of summer appetizers, as Sausalito Trio plays their melodic jazz. Patrons may bid on silent auction items and raffles throughout the evening, courtesy of local businesses and artists participating in the Arts Expo. Tickets may be purchase online at $45 per person.

Akron Arts Expo: July 23 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; July 24 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Akron Arts Expo is a nationally recognized arts and crafts show featuring over 160 artists, food, a children’s area and entertainment. The expo will include performances by local dance studios, musicians and bands. Artists will present and sell various art pieces. The children’s tent will include hands-on activities and face painting. Children 4-11 can participate in the Akron Arts Expo Coloring Contest, sponsored by Pat Catan’s and the Akron Beacon Journal. There will also be a silent auction featuring pieces donated by all artists participating in the Akron Arts Expo and local businesses.

National Hamburger FestivalAugust 13 from 12 p.m. to 11 p.m.; August 14 from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Held at Lock 3 Park in Downtown Akron, people will gather to experience over 20 local restaurants serving different kinds of hamburgers. Admission is $5, and food tickets are $1 each.

Cleveland:

Strawberry FestivalJune 16-18 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. & June 19 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Kirtland, the 52nd annual Strawberry Festival will be held at Kirtland High School on Father’s Day weekend. The festival will include rides, games, craft booths, music and strawberry-themed foods. Admission is free and proceeds from sales will benefit the Kirtland Kiwanis Club.

Waterloo Arts Fest: June 25

The Waterloo Arts Fest is an event that applauds the talents of local artists, musicians and businesses in Cleveland, Ohio. Attendees can view various public art installations, attend live music and dance performances, sample from an assortment of local cuisine and explore everything the Cleveland art scene has to offer.

Brecksville Home Days: June 25-26

Located in Downtown Brecksville on Rt. 21, this annual local festival offera free admission, food vendors, activities and will end with a fireworks show both days.

Goodtime III, 4th of July Fireworks Cruise

Spend the 4th of July aboard Cleveland’s largest sightseeing vessel and enjoy dinner, live music, dancing and a fireworks show as you ride along the Cuyahoga River and Lake Erie. Ticket prices may vary. The Goodtime III also runs annually from June through September, with occasional themed cruises.

Red, White, & Brew Music Festival: July 4

Hosted at the Nautica Entertainment Complex on the West Bank of the Flats from 3 p.m. to midnight, the Greater Cleveland Aquarium’s music festival will feature nine bands, with Cloud Nothing headlining. In addition to live music, this 5th annual festival will also include a variety of beers and food trucks. Additionally, attendees will get a fantastic view of the City of Cleveland’s fireworks. The Greater Cleveland Aquarium will also have extended hours on this day, operating from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Warehouse District Street Festival: August 7

Hosted in the Warehouse District of Downtown Cleveland, this festival will include food from local restaurants and clubs, an art show, art demos, live music, children’s activities, unique street performers, neighborhood booths, residential open houses, an architectural walking tour, a “Take a Hike” tour, and Cleveland’s Cutest Dog Contest & Fashion Show. Admission is free. Join in on the fun from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. on West Sixth and St. Clair in the Warehouse District.

Feast of the Assumption: August 12-August 15

This year marks the 118th year that the Parish of Holy Rosary celebrates the Feast of the Assumption in Cleveland’s Little Italy, located on Mayfield Road near University Circle. The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary commemorates Mary being taken to Heaven. This four-day-long festival features live music, children’s rides, and booths with Italian foods and desserts. The final evening of the festival will be preceded by a candlelight procession honoring Mary.

Great Lakes Burning River FestAugust 26 & 27 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.

The Burning River Fest will take place at the historic Coast Guard Station at Whiskey Island. This festival began in 2001, when people began gathering to remember the 1969 burning of the Cuyahoga River. Festival goers can celebrate Cleveland’s historic Coast Guard Station with live music, fresh food from local farms and restaurants, chef demos and beer from Great Lakes Brewing Company.

Lauren Milligan is a senior English major at Kent State University. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a content creator for the Odyssey. When she's not scribbling in her journal, sipping coffee and writing at Tree City Coffee, she is probably feeding her horror movie obsession or hitting up local bookstores to contribute to the small library in her bedroom.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.