This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It’s spooky season ghost and ghouls! Now I watch scary movies any season and any time, but really amp up the spookiness during Halloween, obviously. Not everyone is into partying on Halloween and would much rather stay in and binge watch horror movies, so I’ve gone through and complied some of the best to watch and get you in the mood to be spooked! I’ll make sure to specify which one’s can be found on Netflix!

The Witch (Netflix)

One dayThomasin was playing a simple game of hide and go seek with her brother, when suddenly he vanishes. Her family blames her for his disappearance, her twin siblings even going as far to blame her of witch craft. This ultimately leads to the family turning on each other…so basically exactly what happens at all my families holiday gatherings.

Hush (Netflix)

A deaf writer who found comfort in living in the absolute middle of nowhere (don’t question it just go with it…makes it spookier I guess) suddenly finds herself fighting for her life when a masked killer comes knocking at her door. It’s intense from beginning to end, never knowing what is going to happen. It really makes you appreciative of your senses.

The Shining (Netflix)

Okay I’m real positive we’re going to see a reoccurring theme here of isolated homes and locations. Anyways, Jack moves his wife and son to a far-away hotel in the hopes of curing his writers block. Jack goes a little stir crazy and his writing goes a little something like this, “all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” Uh, okay I guess. Eventually he discovers what the hotel he’s moved his family to is exactly about and essentially try’s to kill his whole family! Fun!

Silence of the Lambs

Clarice is the top student at the FBI training academy when she’s asked to interview Dr. Hannibal Lecter, who, to put it simply, is a psychopath who eats humans! They believe he might be able to help with a case they’re working on. What’s that case you may ask? Oh just a man who is skinning women alive so he can dress as a woman. Super casual! This is personally my favorite horror film, it’s got the perfect amount of spooky mixed with psychological horror. Does that make me crazy?

It Follows (Netflix)

Jay has sex with her boyfriend for the first time and soon discovers that she’s now the proud owner of a new curse that’s only passes on via sex. She’s then told she has to have sex with someone else to pass it on before it kills her. The “walker” can appear in the shape of a friend or a stranger; great! So to quote a classic movie “Don’t have sex, you’ll get pregnant and die.” Minus the whole pregnancy thing, you know.

The Boy (Netflix)

Greta takes up a job as a nanny for an older couple with an eight-year-old son, only to find out the son is a doll. Cool, people have their hobbies and we can’t judge I guess. They have extensive rules for Greta to abide by when caring for their son, basically to treat him like human. Greta soon finds out the family’s dark secrets and when rules are broken things start going bump in the night. Greta soon fears the doll might not be a doll after all.

Last Shift (Netflix)

Cults. They’re all of our favorite topics to read and watch documentaries about, right? That was a serious question, someone please validate my hobbies I’m worried. But essentially a new cop is assigned the last shift at a police station that’s abandoned. She soon feels like she’s not so alone. Haunted by the police stations past of a serial killing cult she’s in for a long last shift.

Before I Wake (Netflix)

After their son dies from an accidental drowning, two parents adopt an 8-year-old boy named Cody into their family. Cody tells them he’s scared to go to sleep, but doesn’t tell them why. When one night they see the body of their dead son in their living room, they find out his dreams can become real but so can his nightmares. They realize that they need to figure out what causes this before his dreams kill them. Dang, I wish my dreams about Harry Styles came true.

The Forest

Sara’s sister goes missing in Japan later leading her to the Aokigahara forest, also commonly known as the suicide forest (thanks Logan Paul!) She decides to go there herself and find out what happened. She finds herself straying from the path, something she was warned not to do, and is welcomed by the souls of the dead. This is why you don’t go out in nature! 

Se7en (Netflix)

So this is more psychological than it is horror, but I feel like it still should be in this list so let’s begin. Brad Pitt, a newly transferred detective, and Morgan Freeman are put on the case regarding some crazy murders. They soon find out the murders are revolving the seven deadly sins (it’s okay if you have to Google what they are during the movie because you forgot, I did it more times then I’d like to admit).

Hopefully you watch one or two of these movies leading up to and on Halloween! Have a fun, safe and spooky Halloween! 

A sophomore at Kent State University majoring in journalism with a minor in fashion media. I love to workout and hang out with friends and hike! I love reading and writing about fashion, health, and relationships and how to balance your life in college.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.