Wellness

The Best Natural Brands that Your Skin (& Body) Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Picture this: you’re in the hair care aisle of your local drug store to grab some of your favorite products. You think to yourself, I wonder what’s in this conditioner…,  and you decide to check the back of the bottle and look towards the long, confusing ingredients list. The only word you can understand on the back of the bottle is the word “Ingredients.”  To make matters worse, it’s not only the beauty aisle that fools you but the makeup, detergent and toiletries aisles as well.

To combat this, here are the best natural brands that will have your skin and body saying it’s oh-so-easy to feel healthy again, due to their simple ingredients that are safe to have around and on your body on a daily basis.

Megababe

Why does being a girl have to involve acting like thigh-chafe and boob sweat doesn’t happen? Megababe was founded by an entrepreneur named Katie Sturino who lives in NYC. Sturino was sick and tired of there not being a solution to common body flaws, so she created an inspiring line of products: Bust Dust (anti-boob-sweat powder), Thigh Rescue (anti-chafe stick) and Rosy Pits (a daily deodorant without aluminum or parabens).  This company is all about creating products without harsh ingredients.

So worry no more, girls, because these products are coming to your rescue!

EcoTools

EcoTools is the perfect company for anyone who is looking to reduce their impact on the environment around them. Their vegan and synthetic products ensure that you’re using cruelty-free brushes. Not only do their brushes use synthetic fibers, but the brush handles are made of recycled bamboo and the packaging is made with tree-free paper. The company also collaborated with Glamour for their new campaign called ‘The Girl Project.’ The campaign was made to make sure that girls around the globe have access to an education. For every Tweet that includes a message of women empowerment, along with #MyTrueBeauty (and tagging @EcoTools) the company will donate $1 towards ‘The Girl Project.’ What could be better than organic brushes and helping the world?

Seventh Generation

The great thing about Seventh Generation is that they make loads of different personal care products. Their laundry detergent is one of the safest on the market, as well as their multi-purpose wipes and feminine care products. You may have seen Seventh Generation at your local supermarket, making them one of the most accessible and modern natural brands out there. Finally, those with sensitive skin can breathe easy knowing there are safe options available.

Lola

The Lola company specializes in creating feminine care products that are made of 100% cotton. Not only are their pads and tampons safe to use, but they’re much better for your reproductive organs. The company was founded when a couple of girlfriends realized that they couldn’t figure out what was in their tampons. The girls wanted the brands that they were using to be honest and straight-up about what they used to create their products, and then Lola was born. You can get these tampons by subscription box and have them sent every 4 weeks (or even more often).

David’s Natural Toothpaste

David’s Natural Toothpaste is cruelty free, has no fluoride or sulfates, and has packaging that’s made with renewable energy. You may be asking why your toothpaste should be fluoride free, but that’s because exposure to too much fluoride could lead to skeletal fluorosis. Skeletal fluorosis is a disease in which causes pain and damage in joints and bones (you don’t need that).

Just the Goods

It can be hard to find a perfume that doesn’t list the word “fragrance” on its ingredients list. In fact, “fragrance” can actually mean a combination of hundreds of ingredients. Just the Goods is one of the few companies that has pulled off beautiful, sweet scented perfumes with ingredients you can actually pronounce (AKA without petrochemicals, parabens, and artificial flavors). Ranging from lavender to wild rose and cranberry, you’ll be sure to find the perfect scent with Just the Goods.  

Biggs & Featherbelle

Biggs & Featherbelle was created by two sisters who quit their day-jobs to start creating natural products. Bath fizzies, body scrubs, body balms and gift boxes are just a few of their specialties! Their products are made of plant-based ingredients and essential oils. Inspired to make beauty items that weren’t bad for the planet or for your health, this company has been thriving since 2003. You can find them at local festivals and fairs, and even on some of your store shelves.

Linden Miller

Kent State '21

A current sophomore at Kent State University, Linden is a public relations major with minors in Spanish and early intervention. Linden is passionate about advocating for special needs students, training service dogs, and planning new trips abroad. In her free time, she can be found running at the local gym or taking her three dogs on a walk around downtown Cleveland.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.