The Best Advice to College Freshmen from Leslie Knope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Your first year of college is one of the most exciting experiences of your life. You’re going to experience so many new things and so many new people which can be a little overwhelming at times. So to help you get through the first year, here are some tips from the wise Leslie Knope, the star of NBC’s Parks and Recreation.

Don’t work too hard: Yes, school work and studying should be a top priority in your life, but don’t overwork yourself. Whenever you feel yourself overwhelmed with work or stress, remember to take some time to recognize that there are other things that are important in life, too.

Don’t forget about your friends: You’re going to meet so many new people in college, especially guys. Just be sure to remember your friends are important, don’t lose them in the craziness of freshmen year, or put a guy ahead of your best girl.

Don’t let anybody bring you down: There are so many people at college with different interests and majors. Don’t let anybody tell you something you love, or that you yourself, is annoying. While you may be annoying one person, you could be inspiring another. Also, there are so many clubs and organizations for every interest or hobby, so get involved with what you love doing, no matter what anybody says. 

Remember to focus and relax: College can get extremely stressful and overwhelming at times. When this happens, the most important thing for you to do is to focus and stay calm. Remember why you came to Kent and what your dreams are, because that is what is going to push you to keep going even in your darkest moments. 

Hi! I'm Taylor Robinson. I'm a sophomore journalism major at Kent State. I like Parks and Rec and hanging out with my dog.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.