This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The smell of coconut, tanned skin, countless bikini pictures on Instagram – yep, it’s officially summer. A new season means new beauty routines and trends. I’m here to share with you a few of my must have beauty products for summer and a few helpful tips to achieve Insta worthy make-up posts.                 

BECCA X Jaclyn Hill Champagne pop

My favorite highlight to rock in the summer time is a true gold. A gold in the summer really highlights tanned skin and makes your highlight look more natural, as if you’ve been laying in the sun all day. I believe Champagne Pop, which was made in collaboration with Jaclyn Hill is the best gold highlight. I personally can’t wear it all year long, because it doesn’t flatter my naturally pale skin. It looks the best on deeper skin tones and tanned skin. Perfect for your summer time glow!

Bed Head Anti-Frizz Spray

One of the downfalls about summer is the damage it can do to your hair and the uncontrollable frizz. Lucky for you I have a product that hasn’t failed me when it comes to keeping my unmanageable frizzy hair in place, even after a long day out in the sun. The miracle product is Bed Head’s Get Twisted Anti-Frizz Finishing Spray. I promise you will love me for mentioning this product!

Lightweight Foundation/BB Cream

We all know temperatures sky rocket in the summertime; however, we still want to rock that full glam makeup look, so a lightweight foundation or BB cream will be your best friend. I currently use the Physicians Formula’s The Healthy Foundation. This foundation is lightweight and breathable but can be built up for a fuller coverage. This foundation also has SPF 20! I also recommend finding a BB cream. BB creams are a light foundation that make you feel like you aren’t wearing anything at all! I suggest trying out a drugstore brand such as Maybelline or NYX.  

Shimmering Bronzer

Another thing I love wearing during the summertime is a shimmer bronzer. These bring a glow to the skin and highlight just the right spots in the sun! My two favorites are Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Bronzer in Park Ave Princess and the Pur Mineral Glow bronzing powder. The Tarte bronzer even comes in a waterproof formula!

Liquid Highlight/Illuminator

In the summertime a huge trend is to have a natural glow. A tip to achieve a gorgeous glow from within is to mix in a liquid highlight or illuminator into your foundation. My go to liquid highlight is High Beam from Benefit. It is a light pink shimmer. It compliments my paler complexion and makes my skin look dewy and fresh. Other beauty gurus mix in the Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops into their foundations to get this desired look. The Cover FX drops come in a variety of shades, so you can pick the best one to bring out your inner glow.

Glossy Lip

Another trend flowing through YouTube and Instagram right now is a glossy lip. Does this mean matte liquid lipsticks are done? Of course not! But pouting your lips and adding a clear gloss or a gloss with a tint is super easy and can complete an entire look. Personally, I’m glad that gloss is coming back, because finding the perfect red lipstick can be difficult.

Colorful Eyeshadow Palette

To complete your look you need a colorful eyeshadow palette! When I think summer my mind instantly flips to corals and pops of pinks. These colors are still a great choice when creating a look this summer, but blue seems to be a current trend in eye looks. Two palettes I suggest our Colourpop’s My Little Pony palette and the Jaclyn Hill x Morphe palette. I love these two because along with the pops of colors there are some neutrals to help create the look. I also suggest building your own palette! You can mix and match the bright colors you love with neutral mattes to form your perfect palette. I recommend Colourpop single shadow’s along with Makeup Geek shadows.

I hope this helps you girls when you’re jamming to your summer playlists getting ready for a night out! I know I can wait to gather my makeup and get ready!

Shelby Rabideaux is currently attending Kent State University. She is majoring in Digital Media Production and will have a minor in Fashion Media. Her love for entertainment and film came from actively going to concerts. She currently is on a TV show called The Blurb that focuses on entertainment news that her school produces. She dreams to be able to inspire others like how she was inspired. Shelby is currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kent State and the President where she strives to share her love for Her Camps with the Kent community. 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.