And the Academy Award Goes To…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

A year in movies finally came to an end this past Sunday. With over 700 movies that were made in 2014, only a select few were nominated and only one was chosen as the ultimate winner. Neil Patrick Harris (NPH) hosted the Academy Awards also known as the Oscars. He opened the show with a musical number that featured other best movies from different decades. Anna Kendrick and Jack Black contributed to the performance. 

Harris was not the only one who had a musical performance. John Legend and Common performed their Oscar winning song, “Glory.” The performance was so powerful that Chris Pine and many more were shedding tears by the end.

The “Everything is Awesome” song from the Lego Movie got the crowd up and dancing. As The Lonely Island and Tegan and Sara sang, some of the dancers went into the crowd and gave out Oscars made of Legos.    

Other performances throughout the night consisted of Lady Gaga singing a tribute to The Sound of Music for the 50th year Anniversary, Adam Levine performed his newest hit single “Lost Stars,” and Jennifer Hudson sang a song from Smash.

The night was filled with many memorable acceptance speeches ranging from J.K. Simmons to Patricia Arquette to Graham Moore. In Simmons’s speech for Best Supporting Actor, he pleaded for everyone to call their parents. Arquette’s speech for Best Actress incorporated women rights and wage equality for a nice feminism touch. Moore’s speech was an inspiration to “stay weird, stay different.” He talked about how when we was younger, he wanted to commit suicide because he felt different.

Now onto a lighter note, the main awards of the night went to…

Actor in a Supporting Role: J.K. Simmons, Whiplash

Actress in a Supporting Role: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood

Animated Feature Film: Big Hero 6

Original Song: “Glory,” Selma

Directing: Alejandro G. Inarritu, The Imitation Game

Actor in a Leading Role: Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything

Actress in a Leading Role: Julianne Moore, Still Alice    

Best Picture: Birdman

If you want to look at the complete list of awards, click here.

Pop culture enthusiast, adventure seeker, lover of all things purple and an expert on Marilyn Monroe.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.