This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

A few days ago the Met Gala theme for 2019 was announced. In seven months, some of the world’s most well-known celebrities will once again walk the famous red carpet for the seventy-first anniversary of the event. This event not only celebrates another amazing costume exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, but also showcases fashion that is meticulously designed and inspired by the theme itself on the people walking the carpet. The themes in previous years have included Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination, Manus x Machina, and China: Through the Looking Glass. Each theme brings with it iconic celebrity fashion moments.

So, what is the theme for 2019?

With co-chairs including Harry Styles, Lady Gaga, Alessandro Michele and Serena Williams, the Met Gala exhibition is called Camp: Notes on Fashion.

No, this is not about camping or anything that has to do with being outside in a tent (although I would love to see what fashion designers could pull together with that theme).

Camp, used here is more like the adjective “campy.” It describes a type of fashion that is so traditionally unappealing and outrageous that it becomes stylish. This concept derives from an essay by Susan Sontag called Notes on “Camp.” This fashion is humorous and ironic, going against traditional design concepts. Think of famous people in history who went against the norm, like the artist Andy Warhol. Many designers have been influenced by camp recently, reacting to the current political climate.

Image courtesy of TIME

What can we expect to see on the red carpet? I believe this year’s theme allows for a lot of interpretation. The fashion within the camp style is colorful and daring, allowing designers to have fun with the theme. The 2018 Met Gala allowed for some stunning looks inspired by Catholicism and religion, some choosing to make political statements with their fashion. I think that the 2019 red carpet will be politically charged mixed with joy and irony, creating more unforgettable looks than ever.

Lainey is a senior at Kent State University studying Fashion Design with a minor in Costume Design & Technology. She is so excited to be the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Kent State this year and to start her career in costume design for film and television. Read on for the latest on film, fashion, music and much more!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.