Alex Gray: a Candidate for USG’s Director of Programming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Meet Alex Gray, 21, a junior public relations major here at Kent State. Alex is running for director of programming in Undergraduate Student Government. Alex has her own blog, has interviewed Kid Ink and has some great plans if elected. Check out our interview with her below to find out what she plans to do if she is elected into the position. 

Her Campus: Why do you want to run for director of programming for Undergraduate Student Government?

Alex Gray: I want to run for director of programming because my dream job when I graduate from Kent State is to go into entertainment public relations and to also do event planning. I couldn’t think of a better way to start preparing for my future than to run for this position. This university has given me the best college experience that I could have ever dreamed of and with this position, I’m hoping to help other students feel the same way that I do about KSU. 

HC: What are some of your plans if you are elected?

AG: If I’m elected, I would really like to bring programs to campus that really give off a college-like feel. I want to bring artists and performers that will bring a great show and good vibes to the students. I think that the programs that come to the university are so important because they give students something to look forward to on campus. Programs are where we can come together as a community and have fun in a safe environment. Personally, I am always so excited for the next performer to come to Kent and to find out who is coming next, and I want everyone here at Kent to feel that excitement as well. 

HC: What makes you the ideal choice for this position?

AG: I am the ideal choice for this position because I feel that I have the work ethic that it takes to bring these amazing performances to Kent. I’m a public relations major, so I am going to school to learn to be a great communicator, and that is something that is crucial for this position. There are several things that need to be done in order to bring a huge event like this to campus, so communication is an essential skill for this position. I also am huge team player, but know when it is time to step up and be a leader. Last but definitely not least, I have a serious love for music. I stay updated on new music consistently and would consider myself a pop culture junky. I think I have great taste when it comes to music and actually knowing facts about artists, specific songs, albums, etc., which is a great quality to have for this position. 

HC: What would you like to tell potential voters about yourself and your goals for the position?

AG: I want voters to know that I will work day in and day out to bring the most amazing programs that this university could ask for. I know it will take a lot of time and effort, but I know that I will be able to handle it. I will stay organized and on top of my work so that the programs can thrive and be the absolute best that they can be. My goal is to put every ounce of effort that I can into this position. I believe that the programs on campus really do make a difference to students, and I want them to have the best experience that they possibly can.

HC: What inspired you to run for a position in Undergraduate Student Government?

AG: At the beginning of this semester, I was fortunate enough to have gotten interviewed Kid Ink at the Future concert for my blog, The Gray Area. It was my biggest interview that I’ve had yet. Going behind the scenes and seeing how everything is done is what really inspired me to consider running. This semester, I also started writing for Campus Events Network’s website (CEN), which is the agent that Kent State uses in the process of bringing events to campus, as a contributor. The agent and owner of CEN, Matt Walt, reached out to me and also encouraged me to run for the position, especially since there hasn’t been a girl that has had this position in a while that I know of. 

HC: What are you doing to campaign and reach students on campus?

AG: I’ve really been heavily relying on social media to campaign for myself. There are so many students here, and I feel like social media is a really good way to reach a lot of them and let them know about my campaign.

HC: What would be your main goal if elected into this position?

AG: My main goal for this position is to bring performers that the student body will be excited about. I know that not everyone has the same taste in music, but I will try my hardest to find artists that the student body wont be able to wait and see. I think the best way to do that is to find out what genre of music or what kind of program that the students want most and then work from there. One of the things that I think current director of programming, Kevin Otubu, does best at his position is creating excitement and build up before the performer is announced. I love that students can’t wait to find out who is coming next and that is something that I definitely want to implement.

HC: How are you feeling about the upcoming election? Are you nervous, optimistic?

AG: If I’m being completely honest, I’m a little nervous considering that this is one of the most ambitious things that I have ever done. At the same time though, I’m feeling optimistic and confident. I’m excited to see what’s going to happen.

HC: Anything you’d like to say to potential voters?

AG: In the past three years, KSU has helped me grow so much academically and also personally. I cannot imagine being anywhere else but here. I want so badly to hold  a leadership position within this amazing university and help represent students and bring the best programs that Kent has ever seen. One thing that I do know is that I will pour every ounce of my heart and soul into this position. I felt that I have gotten to see some of the best performances right here in Kent, and I want all other students to feel that way, too. I know that I can be a great director of programming, and I would be so honored if you would let me, Golden Flashes.

Check out her campaign video by clicking here.

Voting for Undergraduate Student Government is March 7 and March 8 this year from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. You can cast your vote by going to the USG website, or logging onto your own Flashline account. 

Follow Alex on social media, and don’t forget to vote, Flashes!

Instagram: @agrayyyy

Twitter: @agrayyyy

Blog: The Gray Area

Senior at Kent State | Victoria's Secret PINK Campus Rep
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.