Akron Celebrates Autism Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Each year, 1 in 68 Americans is diagnosed with autism, which translates to more than 3.5 million Americans currently living with this disability. It’s been estimated that about ⅓ of individuals living with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) also live with epilepsy. While the autism spectrum as a whole is complex, this disorder can be defined as a group of complex disorders of brain development. Autism Speaks characterizes it as a person having “difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors.”

Autism Awareness Month is often symbolized by the ribbon pictured above. The puzzle piece pattern of the Autism Awareness Ribbon represents the complexity of this disorder and the diversity of the people and families living with it. It’s been said that the bright colors of the ribbon represent hope that people living with autism will be able to live full lives and interact with the world on their own terms.

Nearly 25 years ago, the Autism Society launched a nation-wide effort to spread autism awareness. National Autism Awareness month begins April 1 and lasts through the end of the month. Each year during this time, the Autism Society promotes awareness, comfort and inclusion for all those living with ASD. Through the month of April, The Autism Society of Greater Akron (ASGA) hosts and supports events to raise money for their cause.

There are several efforts that occur throughout the United States every year in effort to support those with autism. “Light It Up Blue” is a campaign launched in 2010 by Autism Speaks. It occurs annually April 2 in support of World Autism Awareness Day, as well as in support of  Autism Awareness Month. Iconic landmarks around the world are lit with bright blue spotlights in support of autism. Panera Bread also supports Autism Speaks by donating proceeds from their puzzle piece cookies, sold throughout the month of April, to Autism Speaks.

Here are a few of the events going on in and around Akron this month:

Throughout the month of April, the West Side Bakery will donate $1.40 to ASGA for every cookie purchased at either their Akron or Uniontown locations.

The District Boutique in Uniontown, Ohio, will donate 20% of all purchases made April 5 to ASGA.

Crafty Mart’s Mom & Pop Shoppe will be hosting 70 local artists and crafters from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 2 at three downtown Akron locations: Akron Art Museum, Summit Art Space, and Akron Main Library. Raffle Proceeds benefit ASGA.

These are just a few of the events going on around the Akron area. Be sure to check out the Autism Society of Greater Akron’s site for more events!

Lauren Milligan is a senior English major at Kent State University. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a content creator for the Odyssey. When she's not scribbling in her journal, sipping coffee and writing at Tree City Coffee, she is probably feeding her horror movie obsession or hitting up local bookstores to contribute to the small library in her bedroom.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.