This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Exam periods tend to send us into a spiral of anxiety and caffeine-fueled all-night study sessions, desperately cramming the night before our test. And since the start of online school, the added stressors of computer crashes, the fear of feeling unprepared because the coursework has been virtual and online proctoring systems that can glitch at any moment are all thrown on top to agitate our already sensitive nerves. 

Cat Working GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

With all of this on our plates while we’re trying to balance a typical college social life, time management is key. In order to practice effective time-management skills, I have found it helpful to visualize entire weeks in the future before the calendar has actually turned to them. To do this, I suggest getting yourself a super cute planner that has a layout that suits your own planning style. Having something aesthetically pleasing to write in helps motivate me to actually make use of it. I start by thinking about my biggest and most daunting task for that week and planning out how I will accomplish it each day. Then, I tackle the tasks that lie ahead in descending order of importance. This lays the groundwork for creating each of my daily to-do lists. 

When it comes to exam planning, I start off by writing the date that they must be turned in and then I fill in what I will study each day of the week leading up to it. This way I have a set guide for what needs to get done all laid out on an easily visible timeline, making things at least appear more manageable and thereby alleviating some of the stress. 

Journaling Sharpie Markers GIF by Sharpie - Find & Share on GIPHY

Procrastination is a large factor in why it is so hard for college students to prepare properly for exams. What helps alleviate this for me is making a set time where I “force” myself to do work. I usually will lock my phone away for chunks of about an hour and go to a place where I can feel productive: the library, a lounge or a coffee shop. Removing potentially distracting elements like your phone, tv or bed can go a long way in encouraging yourself to actually sit down and crank out some work. Giving yourself little rewards along the way is a valuable study tactic as well. Once you have made it through your set timeframe for studying, treat yourself with a phone break, a snack or something else that gives you some instant gratification. 

Meme Reaction GIF by Klarna - Find & Share on GIPHY

Lastly, to soothe those last-minute jitters before you open up the exam, close your eyes and take at least four deep breaths, in and out. This will slow your heart rate and center you in the moment. Plan ahead and trust in yourself and you will ace this exam season. And when you do, don’t forget to celebrate the small victories along the way. 

Annie Gleydura

Kent State '24

I am Annie Gleydura. I’m a sophomore majoring in Fashion Merchandising and minoring in both fashion media and creative writing. My passions include fashion, writing, art, and makeup.