A Spring Playlist For New Beginnings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Spring has officially begun, and a great way to usher in the new season is through some new music. Here are some new, fresh songs that embody the season and new beginnings that would be great to add to your spring playlist.

1. “True Blue” by boygenius

Boygenius, the supergroup consisting of Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker, recently released their first full-length album titled “the record,” and if you’re anything like me, you’ve been absolutely obsessed with it. Although the entire album is filled with amazing music, the song “True Blue” has definitely been one of my favorites. The lyric “summer’s in your blood, you can’t help but become the sun” really stuck out to me and makes me excited for warmer, brighter days ahead.

2. “The Grants” by lana del rey

Another album that recently dropped is “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd” by Lana Del Rey. This album is full of bangers, but I think “The Grants” is definitely the best song on the album for spring. Dreamy vocals and piano make this song lovely for the upcoming sunshine and fun of the new season.

3. “Lovers rock” by tv girl

So many songs by the band TV Girl remind me of spring and the sunshine, but “Lovers Rock” is definitely a song that completely embodies the season for me. “Lovers Rock” is a song that makes me want to drive on the road with the windows down while the sun is setting. This song is perfect to vibe to as the days get longer and the seasons change.

4. “I Wish you roses” by kali uchis

I only just recently started listening to Kali Uchis, but I have been absolutely loving her music so far, and “I Wish you Roses” has become a favorite of mine from her new album “Red Moon In Venus.” This song is about letting someone go, whether it be a lover or a friend, but still wishing them well, which I think is a great mindset to go into spring with.

5. “Who loves the sun” by the velvet underground

The Velvet Underground has always been a favorite band of mine, and I think that the song “Who Loves the Sun” is just lovely. Pretty harmonies and an upbeat tune make this song perfect for sitting under the sun. I also do, in fact, love the sun, which makes this song all the more perfect.

6. “Shanghai” by king gizzard and the lizard wizard

I think that this is a great song for springtime and specifically for new beginnings. The upbeat tune and musicality of this song definitely gives good vibes. The song is essentially about a caterpillar becoming a butterfly, undergoing change. With lyrics “born again overnight” and “undergoing complete metamorphous, from moth caterpillar to a chrysalis,” this song is a great one to listen to for a new beginning.

7. “Wrapped up in books” by belle and sebastian

Whenever I hear the song “Wrapped Up In Books,” I am instantly put into a good mood. This song is so fun and cheery, it would be the perfect Indie pop song to listen to for those bright, sunny days coming up.

Whatever songs may be on your playlist, happy Spring and happy listening!

Addison Foreman

Kent State '24

Addison is a journalism student at Kent State University. In her free time she loves to read, write, listen to music, and cuddle with her cat.