A Mix of Autumn and Halloween Films to get Excited for the Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It is officially October and we are in the Fall season! AHHH. This is truly my favorite time of the year. The coziness of it, the foods, the scents, the clothing and the fall activities are the absolute best.

My friends, family and I have been going on and on recently about what some good autumn and Halloween related films and television shows to watch are, that are the most comforting during this short and precious season.

I have compiled a list of various films, so that you do not have to stress about what to curl up and watch on a dark, cool night.

Why don’t we start with some Nostalgic Classics?

1. Hocus Pocus

This has to be my all time favorite. The cheesiness of it all, and they are the absolute perfect Halloween trio.

2. Beetlejuice

A 1988 classic that is quirky, scary and cozy all at the same time. I cannot wait for the sequel coming out next year with Jenna Ortega though!

3. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Autumn is the perfect time to watch this and E.T. is just so adorable.

4. The Harry Potter Movies, Especially Prisoner of Azkaban

I am such a big “Harry Potter” fan, I am actually reading the books now too! This whole cherished series is perfect throughout the fall and winter. But, “Prisoner of Azkaban” I feel like is the perfect Halloween film, with its pumpkins, werewolves and the eerie whomping willow.

5. it’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

If you’re from my generation, you may remember that this is all our teachers played every year in the classroom during the fall season!

6. Halloweentown

Now I am only really a big fan of the first “Halloweentown”, but nevertheless it is such a cheesy classic that I love so much.

7. Scooby Doo

Grab some Scooby snacks and watch the gang solve some mysteries.

8. Ghost Busters

“Who you gonna call?”

9. Casper

Another cheesy classic!

Next, of course Some thrillers/scary films!

1. Halloween

What is not to love about a whole bunch of nonchalant teens in a creepy woods by a lake with a serial killer?

2. Scream

I am still too scared to watch this….

david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

3. The Conjuring

“The Conjuring” one and two are both super scary and keep you on the edge of your seat! I thought the settings and atmosphere were really well done too.

And of course, A few films that scarred me as a little kid. I can’t be the only one…right..?

1. monster House

The animation of the characters scared me to death and the house was so scary when it came alive. I would have nightmares for days as a kid.

2. Coraline

Coraline was genuinely so scary, how was it a comfort show for some kids? Like, the mom’s eyes got sewed shut.

We all need a few Rom Coms and films for the girls.

1. Vampire Diaries

I was in love with this series. If you are a big fan of vampires, werewolves, witches and romance–this is the show for you. If you finished this, you can try their other show called, “The Originals”!

2. Gilmore Girls

Always a classic I feel like my friends talk about a lot.

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

3. Practical Magic

Who doesn’t love Sandra Bullock??

4. Twilight

No one hate, I am not a huge “Twilight” fan, but I know other people enjoy it and it’s a great fall film series to binge!

And lastly, some other fun ones I had to put in!

1. Knives Out

The first “Knives Out” is perfect to watch for the Fall. It is a perfect murder mystery with the actor, Daniel Craig, that you did not know you needed.

2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

“Let’s Do The Time Warp Again!”

3. The Batman (2022)

I just watched this for the first time a couple of days ago, and it was so eerie and dark when compared to the other Batman films. I definitely needed to put this one on the list.

4. Good Will Hunting

When you need to have a good cry during the rainy, fall season.

5. Maleficent

Again…who doesn’t like Angelina Jolie?? This one is a perfect film if you want to go the Disney route.

6. Wednesday

I binged the entire first season in two days, I highly recommend it!

jenna ortega as wednesday
Netflix

I hope this list helped you find your next watch during this spooky fall season! Get curled up with some fuzzy blankets, light some warm scented candles, make a cup of hot apple cider and enjoy some good films.

Ella Katona

Kent State '26

Ella is a sophomore at Kent State University. She is a Journalism major and has minors in Environmental Studies and Creative Writing. Ella was born and raised in Pittsburgh and adores spending her time out in nature, reading, running and doing anything involving art.