This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Although it may be November, winter holidays are still approaching and now is the time to start buying gifts for your loved ones. One of the best ways to buy gifts different from what you see in the big department stores is by shopping locally. For shopping locally, downtown Kent is one of the best places to do that!

Here’s a list of some of the best local businesses found in downtown Kent to shop for your pickiest loved ones.

One real quick note regarding the hyperlinks taking you to the stores’ websites, is that not all stores allow you to shop online. However, it is smart to take a look at their websites yourself to get a better feel as to what merchandise they sell. 

1. Hippie Fox Rocks

Hippie Fox Rocks is located in Acorn Alley in downtown Kent and according to its website is an independently owned rock shop. Besides selling crystals and rocks, Hippie Fox also sells jewelry, stickers and other accessories. For your loved ones interested in crystals, crystal towers and anything crystal related this is the perfect place to shop.

1. Tiger Rae Boutique

Tiger Rae Boutique is another store located in Acorn Alley not too far from Hippie Fox Rocks. The Boutique carries clothing from size S to size 3XL, jewelry and other accessories such as bags. The boutique also features handmade local soaps and essential oils too. For frequent Francesca’s and Apricot Lane shoppers, you can get them the perfect gift from Tiger Rae Boutique.

1. Last Exit Books and Coffeehouse

For all of your book, record and music lovers, Last Exit Books and Coffeehouse is the perfect place to shop! Last Exit possesses a wide assortment of previously owned books, records and CDs which means your gift can also be a sustainable one. In addition to this they also offer previously owned puzzles, mugs and T-shirts.

@kentsportswear

Looking for the perfect place to get Kent State merchandise? Look no further! We are Kent Sportswear and we are here for all your apparel needs! Stop in and shop with us, you won’t regret it!💙⚡️#flashesforever #kentstate #college #kentsportswear #kentstateuniversity #fyp #collegegear

♬ original sound – Kent Sportswear
  1. Kent Sportswear

There’s always a sports fan in the family and during my first semester at Kent, all of my family members wanted their own Kent State apparel. Kent Sportswear offers a wide selection of apparel and accessories for all Kent State sports. They even have the famous “Big Dix Energy” sweatshirt which would make a great holiday present for any Kent State fan.

1. Off the Wagon Shop

Who doesn’t love an adorable JellyCat stuffed animal? Well Off the Wagon Shop features a wide assortment of JellyCat stuffed animals as well as other stuffed animals too. In addition to stuffed animals, Off the Wagon Shop also sells board games, candy and stationary accessories.

1. Flourish Plant Market

Do you have a plant lover in your life? If yes, then Flourish Plant Market located on Water Street in Acorn Alley would be perfect for them as it offers a wide selection of plants. If you are worried about your gift not lasting long enough for your gift exchange, then you purchase a plant accessory such as a pot or plant hanger. Interestingly, some of Flourish’s pot or plant hangers are locally made.

1. Popped!

Popped! offers the perfect sweet treats for the sweet tooth in your life. Popped! sells non-GMO popcorn made with locally made butter from Hartzler Family Dairy. In addition to using local butter, Popped! uses other local ingredients to create their treats and they also use some vegan recipes to make their creations. This means you can also give your vegan and vegetarian loved ones a little gift from Popped! too. Besides popcorn, Popped! also sells an assortment of truffles, caramels and other candies.

Regardless of where you shop or who you are shopping for, happy shopping this winter holiday season!

Adriana Gasiewski

Kent State '26

Adriana Gasiewski is sophomore Journalism major with a minors in Italian and English. Besides being the Philanthropy and Community Events Coordinator and on the editorial team for Her Campus, she is also a cultural and diversity beat reporter for KentWired. Some of her favorite things to do besides writing include reading, drawing and listening to music.