When Harry Met Sally
When Harry Met Sally
Castle Rock Entertainment

7 Old Movies to Watch ASAP if You Loved Firefly Lane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Firefly Lane follows two friends on their journey through life and time. The whole time I was watching the show, I kept seeing reminders of my favorite old movies within the writing and the various time periods. Since there is currently only one season of Firefly Lane on Netflix, here are my suggestions of different movies to watch if the show left you wanting more.

Beaches (1988 or 2017)

If you loved Firefly Lane, you have to watch Beaches. They are so incredibly similar, it was all I could think about while I was watching the show. Rather than following Tully and Kate, you follow the story of C.C. and Hillary, a famous actress and a lawyer. Bring tissues and watch the Idina Menzel remake if 80s movies are not your favorite.

You’ve Got Mail (1998)

If you are slowly trying to get into watching old movies, maybe try this one from 1998. The story focuses on a bookstore owner and a corporate man, played by everyone’s favorite actor Tom Hanks, as they turn utter hatred into love.

Steel Magnolias (1989)

My mom’s all time favorite movie, Steel Magnolias puts you through all the emotions. You laugh, you cry, you get a sneek peak into the lives of a group of complex women in the South. This is not something that I would have ever slected on my own, but my mom forced me to watch it and I am glad she did because it is LOL funny.

When Harry Met Sally (1989)

This movie is a cult classic and it lives up to the hype. A beautiful film, it explores the up and down relationship between a cynic and a romantic. 

The Way We Were (1973)

I had to include this classic Barbra Steisand/Robert Redford flick. It takes place in the World War II era and is centered around the relationship between two very different people from very different worlds. I am still waiting for the day I get to say, “Your girl is lovely, Hubbell.” It is iconic.

Sex and the City (1998)

I know this is supposed to be an article about movies, but I had to include this iconic show about female friendship. In my defense, they do have the Sex and the City movies, although the TV show is much better.

Forrest Gump (1994)

I’m hoping everyone reading this has already seen this one, but if not, rent it immediately! Just like Firefly Lane, Forrest Gump takes place throughout the 20th century throwing in historical events frequently. Although some parts definitely have not aged particularly well, it is a must see.

If you liked Firefly Lane as much as I did, make sure to check out these movies!

Emma Traynor

Kent State '24

Emma is a Fashion Merchandising and Communication Studies double major with a minor in Sustainability at Kent State University. She previously attended cosmetology school in her hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, getting the opportunity to do hair and makeup for numerous local fashion shows as well as certifications in eyelash and hair extensions. When she's not working on her studies, you can find her traveling, painting, thrifting, hanging out with friends or her dog, Rosie.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.