Life > Academics

7 Easy Tips for Keeping Your Semester Organized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.
Keep a planner

A planner is one of the most important tools for organizing your classes and assignments. I choose to use a physical planner, but there are also great digital options like Notion, which is an app for your phone and computer. A planner is useful to keep track of important due dates for classes. 

Make a daily to-do list

One way to ensure you accomplish everything you need to in a day is to create a to-do list. I have a small whiteboard in my room that I update with my daily tasks. This includes any household chores such as laundry or cleaning, along with any assignments I need to work on. The best part of keeping a to-do list is feeling fulfilled when you cross off your last task. 

to do list and check off list
Original photo by Meguire Hennes
Study in a different space

It is always nice to find reasons to get out of your dorm during the day. I find it especially useful to try study areas around campus when I need to get work done. These places can be the library, the student center or even Starbucks. 

Plan breaks

When in the thick of the semester, it can feel natural to be consumed by schoolwork. During these times, we need to plan breaks and time to relax. You could ask a friend to get a meal with you or go on a walk, and please, let yourself get sleep at night!

Write out dates from class syllabi 

Syllabus season can feel overwhelming for all of us, that’s why I recommend writing down dates from all of your classes in a planner or calendar. You won’t need to worry about missing a deadline later in the semester if you take extra time now to put your assignments in order. 

Deadlines list
Photo by Caitlynn Tibbetts
Make class folders on your computer

In 2021, expect a lot of your classwork to be entirely digital. Whether you use Microsoft Word or Google Docs, you should create individual folders for each of your classes. This helps you locate documents quickly in the future.

Her Campus Western.
Original photo by Holly Steen
Have a schedule

Having a rough schedule for every weekday is very important to be organized. Start with your class schedule, then determine what days you will need to set an alarm and what days you can sleep in. It can also be helpful to know when you have time to eat in between classes, and where you should go to make the most of your time.

hourly schedule
Original photo by Nimra Ahmad

We are all so excited to be back on campus this year, and I hope these tips may help you make the most of it!

Grace Springer

Kent State '24

Grace is a Journalism Major and Media Advocacy Minor at Kent State University. She is interested in music and plays flute for the KSU Marching Band. Other clubs she is involved in are Sunrise Kent State and Tau Beta Sigma.