6 Wine and Halloween Candy Pairings You Need to Try

Halloween is coming up and what better way to celebrate social distancing style than by trying out some wine pairings with your favorite Halloween candies?

1. 1. Reese's and Chardonnay

Try straying from the traditional route of red wine and chocolate (there's plenty of that later on, I promise) by pairing your Reese's with an oaky, buttery Chardonnay. I recommend Bread & Butter's Chardonnay. The complexities of the wine will hold up nicely to the decadent peanut butter chocolate candy. Bonus points if your Reese's are pumpkin-shaped!

2. 2. Candy Corn and Pinot Grigio

Ah, the ever-controversial Halloween candy corn… love it or hate it, you’re sure to be seeing it this time of year. Fans of this spooky season staple should try pairing it with a crispy, acidic wine like Pinot Grigio. I recommend KRIS Pinot Grigio, a personal favorite of mine.

3. 3. Skittles and Rosé

Now something for those who prefer fruit-flavored candy. Skittles are fruity and sweet, so try matching the flavor profile with a Rosé. Rosés can be dry or sweet, and either option is great here. I personally prefer the contrast of a drier Rosé like this one by Kim Crawford. For something sweeter, try Oliver's Sweet Rosé.

4. 4. Snickers and Cabernet Sauvignon

See, I told you there'd be red wine and chocolate! Snickers have quite a bit going on with their combination of peanut, caramel and nougat, so they need a favorable wine that will hold its own, enter a good full-bodied cab like this one by 19 Crimes. It's rich and smooth with a long finish, making for the perfect complement to a Snickers, or just about any kind of chocolate!

5. 5. Kit Kats and Pinot Noir

Over and over again in my research, I found claims that pairing a Kit Kat and a Pinot Noir recreated the taste of a chocolate dipped raspberry. I found this to be oddly specific but after trying it out myself I can confirm, it's true! You absolutely should try this combo. Josh Cellar's always has great wines and their Pinot Noir is no exception, I highly recommend!

6. 6. Sour Patch Kids and Sauvignon Blanc

A sour candy like this needs a wine that offers a zesty punch, and with their acidic lemon-lime and grapefruit aromas, a Sauvignon Blanc is just that. Some of the best, most crisp Sauv's come from New Zealand, so try Matua's Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Fun fact - Matua actually produced New Zeland's first Sauvignon Blanc back in 1974.