Style

6 Ways to Elevate Your Looks This Spring Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Now that the weather is finally getting warmer, and flowers are starting to bloom again, it’s time to finally let go of sweaters and winter boots, and move on to flowy dresses and sunglasses. Sometimes, wearing the same dress or graphic T-shirt or denim shorts can get really repetitive and boring. But, don’t worry, because I am here to help you amp up your spring style! 

Here are six ways you can add a little oomph to a basic spring look:  

1. Oversized Shirts

Oversized T-shirts are pretty easy to simply throw on with a pair of denim shorts, but it can be a little tricky to style an oversized shirt. The key is to make sure the shirt drapes well on your body, but is also a little crisp and structured.   

The way you tuck the shirt into your bottoms can give it a completely different look and feel. You can do a French tuck in the front, or do a half tuck for a laidback look. You can even simply knot one side of the shirt to add interest.   

If you want to wear the shirt as a dress, then all you have to do is slap on a statement belt over it, along with some thigh high boots and voilà! You’ve got yourself a super trendy and “street style” look. 

Pairing a white oversized shirt with a light washed denim skirt is the quintessential spring outfit and is a way cooler take on the classic T-shirt and denim skirt combo. Pair this look with some killer heels, dainty gold jewelry and a red lip for a more “boss babe” look or some classic white sneakers and tinted sunglasses for a fun and casual vibe. 

2. Co-ord Sets

Co-ord sets are all the rage this spring season, and you should also jump on board with this trend because it’s actually a pretty genius one. You can achieve three distinct looks with just one co-ord set by only wearing the top with your choice of bottoms, or the bottoms with another top, or both pieces together. Plus, a matching set is an easy thing to just throw on when you can’t decide what to wear because it is so effortless and makes you look stylish and well put together.   

This orange set is bright, colorful, and a fun one to wear to the beach. The ruffled detailing adds a flirty feel to it and pairing it with a hat and a straw bag can make for a super cute look.

This baby blue set is super comfortable and flattering and can be dressed up or down. Plus, the vertical white stripes help elongate your body and make you appear taller!

3. DIY Jeans

Unarguably, jeans are a classic piece that will never go out of style. This spring season, you can stand out by DIY’ing an old pair of jeans that you might be bored of. There are so many different ways to distress, paint, embellish or embroider a pair of jeans and here are some examples of what you could do. 

This pair of DIY colorful tassel jeans is perfect for this time of the year. It’s girly and playful and can transform a generic pair of jeans. 

These paint splattered jeans are perfect if you want to go for a grunge look. It also makes for a fun (but slightly messy) project! 

This pair of jeans covered with pearls gives off an elegant and classy feel. The embellishment adds a lot to a simple spring outfit. 

3. Denim Jackets

Denim jackets are a wardrobe staple, no matter your style. They are such a versatile piece and can enhance any simple outfit. Even though the basic denim jacket is a great piece, putting on an off-beat jacket can really make a statement. 

This two tone jacket is a pretty cool piece that incorporates some color blocking. And the best part is that you could pair it with a pair of dark or light wash jeans for a denim on denim look.

This oversized black denim jacket with white contrast stitching is definitely a unique piece. Additionally, the silver metal ring detailing adds an edgy vibe to the overall look.

This bold red denim jacket is perfect if you want to make a statement. Pair it with a white graphic tee and denim shorts for an easygoing look, or with a white crop top, black jeans, and a bold lip for a night out.

4. Maxi Skirts

No doubt, maxi skirts are super comfy and also stylish. They can be worn casual or dressed up which make them a really versatile piece. They’re perfect for the beach, brunch, or going shopping. 

Pair a white crop top with a flowy maxi skirt like this mustard yellow one with some heeled boots for a colorful and chic look.

Patterned maxi skirts with slits like this one are perfect for this spring season. Pair it with an off the shoulder crop top, a straw bag and a pair of sunglasses for a super cute beach outfit! 

This dotted white sheer skirt is girly, chic and perfect for brunch or a day out shopping. Wear it with a bright colored crop top with some chunky gold earrings for a delicate and classy look.

5. Statement Bags

Accessories can completely elevate an outfit, which is why it’s important to pay attention to the styling of an outfit. The easiest way to transform a basic look is by adding a statement bag. 

This teal glitter cylindrical bag is both cute and sassy, and definitely makes quite the statement! Wear it with a pink romper and black strappy sandals or with a basic tee and distressed denim shorts.

This oversized circular straw bag sure is roomy and gives off a vacation vibe, which makes it perfect for going to the beach! 

This pink stereo sling bag with the gold chain strap is super trendy and can be paired with a graphic tee and denim shorts as pictured or a little black dress for a night out.

6. Quirky Sunglasses

Once the sun comes out, so do the sunglasses. Honestly speaking, wearing the same pair of sunglasses with every outfit can be kind of boring which is why wearing a quirky pair can add a unique flair.

Recently, the “tiny sunglasses” trend has rolled around, with models and influencers alike jumping on this train. And even though their size kind of defeats the entire purpose of sunglasses, they can totally be worn as an accessory. This pair of cat eye tortoise shell sunglasses can be paired with literally any look!

This oversized chunky pair may be hard to pull off, but very stylish and chic. Besides, it’s perfect for those no makeup days when you want to hide those eye bags!

This pair of red tinted glasses is very “spring” and can help add some color to your outfit. Pair it with giant hoops and a simple all-black look to add edginess and balance out the red.So, these were the six easy ways to elevate your looks and take your spring style up a few notches this season. I hope you enjoy trying a few of them out, and perhaps even step out of your comfort zone as you continue to experiment with new trends and develop your own individual style!

Khushi Kothari

Kent State '21

Khushi Kothari is a junior studying fashion merchandising and minoring in fashion media at Kent State University. She is from Mumbai, India, but was brought up in Bangkok, Thailand, and has dreamed of coming to the U.S. for as long as she can remember. In her spare time, she finds herself listening and jamming out to music, buying more clothes than she really needs, video calling her family and friends back home, playing pool, and hysterically laughing at memes with her friends. She also has an unhealthy obsession with burritos and bubble tea.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.