Wellness > Mental Health

6 Ways To Build Yourself Up After A Mental Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

So we’ve reached the point in the second semester where we’re losing our motivations. We keep going, day in and day out just waiting for spring break, which is our only saving grace to make it through this semester. I don’t know about anyone else but these last few weeks have been particularly hard for me. I have found it increasingly difficult to want to go to class and to do my homework, which is very out of sorts for me. I’ve lost count as to how many times I’ve had mental breakdowns at the end of my nights. The distance from my family has been getting to me and I’ve felt very lost recently which adds to the stress of work, school, and homework every day. (p.s. Everyone’s feelings are valid and I’m just here telling my story, please do not write someone off for the problems they might be experiencing. Thank you!) So if you’re like me and have had a few of your own mental breakdowns or just hit a wall this semester here are a few things that have helped me bounce back one step at a time. 

Take a warm shower.

Sometimes it’s as easy as washing off the day to make you feel better.

Listen to music.

Yes, I am just like every other college kid, I constantly have my headphones in to drown out my own thoughts and the world around me. The right type of music can make you feel better if you want it to.

Dance.

I don’t care if you’re bad at it or whatever the excuse may be, put on some good vibey music and dance around your room. You’ll be surprised at how easy it takes your mind off things.

Talk to someone.

Do this in your own time. Take the time to process what’s going on and then talk to someone else about how you’re feeling. Letting things off your chest can help you bear the weight of everything else. If you don’t feel like talking, do the alternative and write down how you’re feeling.

Workout.

This one isn’t for everyone but it’s a good way to let out extra stress and tension while also making you feel good.

Go for a walk.

This is a good way to clear your thoughts. Try to focus on your surroundings. What stands out to you? Take in the scenery and admire nature in its beauty. It’ll distract you from your problems.

Keep in mind everyone is different so how we handle situations is unique to each of us. These were just a few of my suggestions that I’ve done myself and wanted to share. Continue to remind yourself that things will get better and if you feel like you’re at your worst, remember things can only go up from there. 

a pink neon "and breathe" sign over a plant wall
Max van den Oetelaar | Unsplash

Jasmine Maag

Kent State '23

Jasmine is super excited to be apart of Her Campus. She is a visual communications major and advertising minor and in her free time she likes to hangout with friends, read, and write in her journal.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.