6 Ladies Who Created Their Own Opportunities With YouTube

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

When Viola Davis made history with her Emmy win earlier this month, she took the opportunity to address the media’s representation disparity problem during her acceptance speech.

“The only thing that separates women of color from everyone else is opportunity,” Davis said. “You cannot win an Emmy for roles that are simply not there.”

Numerous studies have shown that women – especially women of color are underrepresented in the media. Those numbers are rising by minute percentages, and while Davis was specifically talking about Hollywood, media extendeds well past film, TV and print. The age of Internet stars is upon us, and with content creators from all walks of life, the posibilities have proven to be endless.

Here’s a list of women who successfully took to YouTube to create their own opportunities.

1. Michelle Phan

The Vietnamese American Youtuber started out in 2007 and now has over 8 million subscribers. Since then, Phan has launched her own makeup brand, EM Cosmetics, co-founded Ipsy and published a book titled “Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style and Success — Online and Off.”

@michellephan: A must have accessory in #Vietnam = non la (conical leaf hat) #HoiAn #DaNang #CoconutJungle

2. Samantha Maria: BeautyCrush

The London native boasts over 1 million subscribers on YouTube and has co-founded the fashion label, Novem & Knight.

@novemknight: Our menswear long sleeve Emile styles by @thebeautycrush | www.novemknight.com

3. Bethany Mota: Macbarbie07

At just 19 years old, Mota has been a Unicef ambassador, appeared as a contestant on Dancing With the Stars, guest judged on Project Runway, partnered with Aéropostale to design her own clothing line and won two Teen Choice awards for Choice Female Web Star. With a long list of accomplishments and a following of over 9 million people, it’s no surprise that Time named her one of the most influential teens of 2014.

@aeropostale: celebrate fall with bethany mota: the newst collection is in stores and online today

4. Eva Gutowski: Mylifeaseva

The 21 year old, Cali-born YouTuber has over 4 million subscribers and has been the face of Kohl’s Wallflower Jeans. Gutowski has also released a satirical single, “Literally, My Life” which hit #1 on iTunes’ comedy chart.

5. Jenn Im: ClothesEncounters

Im started her YouTube channel during college and now, no more than a year and a half after graduation, she has over 1 million subscribers. The Korean American Youtuber has partnered with BirchBox, ELF Cosmetics, Target and is now a regular video Refinery29 contributor.

@imjennim: Watch me accessorize a few summer looks with my favorite #EddieBorgoforTarget Pieces. Link is in my bio ☀️ @targetstyle @eddieborgo #ad

6. Tori Kelly

The singer-songwriter started posting song covers to YouTube at 14 years old. Now, at 22, she has signed with Capitol Records, released two EP’s and one studio album titled Unbreakable Smile. The lead single off of Unbreakable Smile,“Nobody Love,” made it onto the Billboard Hot 100. Since then, Kelly has headlined a sold out tour and supported Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith. 

Hello! My name is Gabrielle, but I go by Gael and I am a junior public relations major. I'm a Filipino American with a love for traveling and I've lived in Manila, Shanghai and Ohio. When I'm not writing for Her Campus, I'm writing for Flash Communications. You can also find me blogging, tweeting and whatever else comes with maintaining my multitude of online presences (and Her Campus' as well). I also enjoy shopping, obsessing over Star Wars, puppies, making videos for my youtube channel and buying too many books than I have time for. Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the internet! xx
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.