jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 YouTubers you Didn’t Know you Needed Until Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Imagine: it’s Tuesday night, you’ve got a paper due at midnight, but. . . YouTube is calling your name. Maybe. . . one video won’t hurt. You open up your browser and see that none of the videos on your recommended page are interesting in the slightest. So you refresh. And refresh again. And again. Nothing. At this point, it’d be more interesting to actually do the paper.

Sound familiar? Luckily for you, we have a list of some YouTubers you may not be subscribed to–yet. These female YouTubers will make you laugh, inspire you and teach you with their creativity and original ideas.

1. Entertainment/Fashion/Beauty: Safiya Nygaard

If you’re a fan of Buzzfeed, particularly Ladylike, then you probably already know who Safiya is. Since she’s left Buzzfeed, she has started her own channel and her videos are better than ever. Known for her original ideas, Safiya’s videos usually involve her testing out bizarre clothing and beauty items, or going shopping in the most unconventional ways (for example, blindfolded.) If you’re looking for quirky videos about makeup and fashion (with a little bit of history to make it educational), Safiya’s channel is for you!

2. Fitness/Healthy Living/Random: Candace Lowry

Similar to Safiya, fellow Ladylike member Candace Lowry also left Buzzfeed to pursue her own channel. While she sometimes collaborates with Safiya on videos, hers are geared more towards living well… but in a fun way. If pretentious vegan YouTubers intimidate you, Candace is your girl. Her videos are down to earth and relaxed, and she has great alternative recipes for your favorite Starbucks drinks that may not be the most healthy for you. Candace will make you laugh and you can relate to her struggles hardcore.

3. Beauty/Fashion: IAMKARENO (Karen Yeung)

If you’re looking for inspiration in your wardbrobe or in your vanity, IAMKARENO is the YouTuber for you. Karen Yeung is an Ipsy creator, so she gets to make videos for Ipsy as her job! Her outfit lookbooks are always stylish and fun, and her makeup looks bold and beautiful. Don’t let her beauty intimidate you though; Karen shows herself to be very dorky and sweet in her videos, making her all the more fun to watch.

4. Fashion/Shopping/DIY: Amber Scholl

Amber Scholl is that pretty popular girl in school that you totally expect to be a bitch, but is actually lovable and absolutely hilarious. Her channel is the dream for anyone who loves fashion, but just doesn’t have the money to spend on nice clothing (aka… every college girl ever). With her DIYs for expensive clothing and her tutorials on how to look cute on a budget, Amber’s channel is every college fashionista’s answered prayer.

5. Lifestyle: Lavendaire (Aileen Xu)

For those of you who have been curious about a minimalist lifestyle, or need help reorganizing your life, there is Lavendaire. Aileen Xu’s mission statement is “life is an art, make it your masterpiece.” On her channel, you will find countless ways to clean up your room, your time, and, well, your life. From journaling to health and wellness, her videos can guide you to begin taking control of your life–or just make you feel calm when you’re stressed.

With these suggestions, you now have hundreds​ of videos to binge watch. Happy procrastinating!

Bridgett Martinez is a sophomore Teaching English as a Second Language major with a Theatre Performance and Educatino minor at Kent State University. She enjoys writing, acting, and going home solely to play with her puppies. She plans on teaching English abroad and in the States, but would also love to teach theatre and music. She hopes to write and direct her own plays some day, as well as help children cultivate a love for theatre. 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.