This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I don’t know about you, but this semester has been the absolute worst for me as far as stress goes. When that stress happens, the easiest thing to do is procrastinate and just avoid all of your problems until they absolutely have to be done and you’re running around your room in a panic because THAT ASSIGNMENT IS DUE IN 20 MINUTES OH MY GOD. I know I’ve been there. Nobody likes to get to that point. Here are some things that help me when the workload is suffocating.

1.) Make a list

One thing that really helps me get my racing thoughts in order is to make a list. I list the day and exactly what I need to do on that day until everything that I’m stressing about is done. It helps a lot to break up everything you need to do, for example, if I need to write a paper in the next 4 days, I would write the introduction on Monday, the first paragraph on Tuesday, etc. It makes you feel like you have less to do and reduces the stress on the mind.

2.) Take a damn break

I know that constantly doing work and “powering through” is what you need to do sometimes, especially when you’ve procrastinated, but if you can avoid that, taking little breaks as you work is the way to go. If you can avoid working through the night, do that. Even if it’s just stepping away from your work to watch a video or play a game, taking a break and giving the mind a minute to relax is proven to be more helpful than working on something for hours at a time with nothing in between.

3.) Sleep right– as much as you can

Everyone gives this tidbit of advice, but I can promise you, it is so helpful. If you think pulling an all-nighter to get a paper done is a good idea, unless you’re trying to reset your sleeping schedule, it is not. Instead of working until 4 a.m., try sleeping now and waking up early to finish the work. Your brain is useless on no sleep, so trying to force it to work when it can’t is not productive at all. Plus, a lack of sleep can cause agitation and anger which is also crappy for productivity. You won’t want to do anything if all you want to do is take a nap.

4.) Don’t be afraid to ask for help

Your professor does not want to see you fail. If you have a question, send them an email! No question is a stupid question and -as much of a cliche as that may be- it’s true. Your professor would rather have you asking questions and showing that you care than have you push an assignment off to the side and not do it. Also, if there is a friend you can ask for help or someone in your class you can email, do that. It’s hard to put yourself out there, but if there is a question you have that you need to get answered to get your work done, do your best to get the answer and avoid further procrastination.

5.) Reward yourself for doing work

This goes along with taking a break. Tell yourself that if you get one thing done, you can have a piece of pizza or watch a short video, or browse Instagram for a couple of minutes. This is a good system because it makes your mind associate work with good things while also giving it a break and avoiding cognitive overload. Use this one with caution, though, because this takes a lot of self-control. One video can segue into the next and then you’ve got one thing done when you meant to get four done. Make sure you stick to your system of work, reward, work, reward or else it won’t be helpful at all.

Doing these things has definitely helped me through this stressful semester. Although these things are helpful to me, just remember to do what you’ve found is helpful as well, and you’ll be extra productive in no time.

Haley Howard

Kent State '21

Haley Howard is an LGBT+ Art Education major at Kent State University. She enjoys painting, drawing, singing, and playing video games with friends.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.