Style

5 Types of Shoes Every Fashionista Should Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

If you’re anything like me, I’m guessing you are a fashionista as well. I absolutely love clothing, but who doesn’t love shoes? They can either dress up or dress down any outfit with the help of a simple shoe change. 

Below I have ranked my top 5 pairs of shoes that everyone should have in their wardrobe. I have also linked a few websites for shoe ideas!

Your Go-To Pair of Heels

Whether you have fancy formal, a business meeting, or going out with friends a classic heel is all you need to dress up an outfit. They come in all shapes and sizes, however, I believe having a pair of both black and nude heels is good to have in your closet. Heels can range as low as $20.00 to $200.00+. It’s ultimately up to you to decide what’s comfortable and what’s not. I definitely recommend wearing them around the house for a long period of time first before wearing them out! It’s the worst feeling at the end of your night when you can barely walk because of your shoes right? Try this!

STEVE MADDEN IRENEEW TAN NUBUCK, $82.95

GAYLEE LEATHER PUMP, $99.00

THE ESATTO PUMP, $278.00

White Sneakers

White sneakers have taken the world by storm. There have been all kinds of styles of white sneakers too. There’s a resurgence of the chunky white sneakers that are now becoming trendy again. The hightop white sneaker is perfect for an edgy skateboarder style. Lastly, there are the plain white pair of white sneakers for your “basic” style. Adding a pair of sneakers definitely makes your outfit more casual, but sometimes that’s the look you’re going for! I personally love wearing a plain pair of white sneakers with dresses or skirts to make them more casual.

NIKE AIR FORCE 1’07, $90

ASOS CHUNKY FLATFORM SNEAKER, $32.00

ADIDAS STAN SMITH SHOES, $80.00

The Ultimate Black Bootie

This has to be my favorite pair of all time. There’s something about wearing a black bootie that gives you the confidence of a lifetime. I can’t explain it! I love pairing a black bootie with a nice pair of dark denim skinny jeans and a leather jacket. I also like wearing black booties with sweater dresses or even a skirt and a sweater in the colder months. This is the perfect fall and winter shoe!

RAG AND BONE WALKER BOOT, $285.00

TOMS ESME BOOTS, $139.00

Basic Ballet Flats

Everyone needs at least one pair of flats in their wardrobe because they are the easiest shoe to slip on and go! I specifically love the look of flats with blue jeans, however, you can most definitely wear them with dresses and skirts as well. Beware, in most cases, there is not a lot of support for your foot.

LIZZIE LEATHER BALLET FLATS, $79.50

LUCKY BRAND EMMIE FLAT, $39.95

Birkenstocks

Last but not least, having a comfortable pair of everyday walking shoes in the summertime is essential. Last summer I bought myself a pair of Birkenstocks for the first time and this shoe is a gamechanger. This has to be one of the most comfortable walking shoes I’ve ever worn. Also, they come in numerous styles, so you most likely will find a style you love!

BIRKENSTOCK MAYARI SANDAL, $99.95

BIRKENSTOCK ARIZONA SANDAL, $99.95

If you are feeling like your wardrobe is missing something, I hope these recommendations can help!

Livi Harmat

Kent State '23

Livi is a junior studying Fashion Merchandsing at Kent State University. In her free time, Livi can be found taking photos, reading, and going to trendy (but yummy) restaurants
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.