This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

You’ve probably seen natural deodorants flooding the market by now and it can be overwhelming when deciding which one is best to try. Take it from a girl who has tried almost every brand of natural deodorant on the market, they are not all made the same. If you’re considering switching to natural deodorant (yay!) there are a few things to consider.

Deodorant vs. Antiperspirant 

Deodorant and antiperspirant are two different things. According to Thompson Tee, deodorant prevents body odor by stopping the breakdown of bacteria while antiperspirant masks the smell of sweat. However, antiperspirants contain aluminum and although there is no evidence that absorbing trace amounts can be harmful, it’s still probably not great. Natural deodorants use essential oils and minerals to block the smell of body odor while antiperspirants can plug your ducts to stop you from sweating. 

It Will Take Your Body Some Time to Adjust

Rachel Nazarian, MD told Cosmopolitan “ many people who switch to natural deodorant formulations report an increase in sweating, then a normalizing of sweat levels after a few days or weeks. It’s your body’s way of regaining the ability to perspire normally.” So basically, don’t knock it until you’ve really tried it. Like any new product that you incorporate into your routine, it will take some time for you and your body to get the hang of it. 

You Might Have to Try a Couple Different Formulas

Personally, I have tried countless natural deodorant brands. Some worked for me, and some have quite literally made me break out in hives. But don’t let that deter you, because trial and error really is your best option here. Since I now know what brands, scents, and even specific ingredients to avoid, I have saved so much time and been able to find my go-to deo.

Not All Natural Deodorants Are Created Equal

As I said before, some natural deodorants have worked perfectly for me and others I never bought again. There are different textures, consistencies and abilities that each natural deodorant possesses, so once you know what you are looking for and what you like, it will be easy to wade through the overwhelming amount of options. 

Ingredients to Avoid

Some deodorant brands use the term “natural” as a way to greenwash you into thinking that their product is safe and environmentally friendly. That is why it’s important to do your own research and know the ingredients in the product you are buying. Some ingredients to avoid in natural deodorants are fragrance, talcum powder, and propylene glycol according to Thompson Tees.

Finding an effective natural deodorant will take time, especially if you’ve never tried it before. Be patient and remember to try multiple different brands in order to find one that works best for you!

Cassidy Gladieux

Kent State '23

Cassidy is a junior journalism student at Kent State minoring in creative writing. This is her third year writing for Her Campus and first year as a senior editor. Cassidy is also a features writer for KentWired. In her free time, she loves to read, go on runs, and cuddle with her dog. In the future, Cassidy hopes to write for a digital magazine and travel around the world!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.