5 Things to Do Even When It’s Freezing Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

We’re heading full-speed into the winter season, and we all know what that means: it’s freezing outside. Even if the weather isn’t having the best day, that doesn’t mean you can’t. I’ve put together a list of some of my favorite things to do on a winter day even when I just feel like hibernating.

Go Sledding

Now I know if it’s freezing out, this idea may turn you away. But if there’s heaps of snow on the ground, why not bring your inner kid out again and hop on a sled? Grab a few friends, bundle up, and hit the slopes (or the hill in your backyard), and you may be surprised by how much fun you and your friends will have just goofing around in the snow.

Read

Imagine yourself curled up by the fire with hot chocolate in your hand and a cozy blanket keeping you warm. You’re finally getting to start that book you’ve been wanting to read for months. Not only will you be super comfy and entertained, reading a book can help relax you and give you a great feeling of productivity.

Binge-Watch Your Favorite Show or Films

If reading is not your forte, we all know how addicting streaming services like Netflix and Hulu can be. If you’ve been looking for a perfect opportunity to start a new series you’ve been hearing everyone talk about, now’s your chance. If you don’t have any shows on your watchlist, turn to your movie bucket list and have a full-blown marathon, popcorn and all.

Bake

What’s better than a plate full of warm cookies on a freezing day? To me, there’s almost nothing that compares. Head to Pinterest or any blog you can find to search for some yummy recipes to bake. I found a recipe to make delicious S’mores Cups, so if you’re stuck on what to bake, give those a try! If you’re not confident in your food-making skills, not to worry. I’m sure mom or your friends would love to help you out. Afterward, you can eat up the whole tray of amazing creations and bonding over the time you had making them together.

Spend Time With a Hobby

Sometimes we get so caught up in our work and school that we barely allow ourselves the time to just do something we love. Allowing yourself to work at a hobby or talent of yours will do wonders for the relaxation and happiness that you may be missing out on. I remember being a kid and spending hours just drawing or making crafts to play with. Who says this needs to stop when you start adulting? If there’s something you’ve always thought about trying, search up a tutorial on YouTube and get started. You could draw, paint, play an instrument, write, cook, knit, read, sew, fix something, exercise, etc. Hobbies are amazing tools for growing as a person, and a freezing day to keep you indoors is a perfect time to start nurturing them.

Those are just a few of my favorite activities to do when it’s freezing out, but of course, there are so many more. Whenever I do any of these things, I always feel better, and I’m sure you will too. Just remember, it’s okay to take a day every once in a while to devote to just taking care of yourself. Stay warm!

Bella is a Communication Studies major and Advertising minor at Kent State University. She loves acting in front of the camera, journaling about anything and everything, and spending time with her family and friends (especially if ice cream is involved). She hopes to run her own blog one day soon and can be found in your nearest cafe, listening to John Mayer... the usual.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.