This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

While it feels like the world froze in the last six months, two things didn’t: fashion and college. It’s easy to feel too unmotivated to get dressed up for class these days, but studies show it can actually help you perform better if you do. Whether you’re learning from a lecture hall or from behind a webcam, keep reading to find the perfect trend for your fall semester wardrobe.

Cutouts

Cutouts remind most of us of the 2010s cold shoulder trend, but it’s been adapted for modern times. A slashed ribbed knit top is such a statement that your outfit will be low-effort enough for even the worst of 8 a.m. classes.

Chains

You might be familiar with chain jewelry as an e-girl closet staple. Whether your style is more e-girl or soft girl, you can adopt this trend to your closet. Layer silver chain necklaces for an edgy look, or add gold chain link earrings for a Parisian girl vibe.

Sweater Vests

It’s time to raid Grandpa’s closet- or your local Goodwill. Grandparent chic is all the rage for this fall. Pair a sweater vest with a white tee and jeans for a comfy but stylish outfit.

Pearls

Pearls are no longer reserved for special occasions. Layer with your favorite necklaces and add a simple top to instantly look like you tried harder than you did to look that classy.

Leather

Leather might seem too edgy at first glance, but it has a place in everyone’s closet. Try this trend through a tailored jacket or blazer if leather intimidates you, or dare to wear a moto jacket if you can pull off a punk look.

If any of these trends speak to you, try it out for your next lecture (or Zoom meeting). Make sure to tag us in your IG fits to be featured!

Sarah is a fashion merchandising major with a minor in fashion media at Kent State University. A New Jersey native, she relocated to Ohio to study at KSU. She is also a web writer for A Magazine and The Burr Magazine, as well as a community member of CollegeFashionista. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Sarah online shopping, chugging coffee or watching horror flicks.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.