5 “reel-y” lovable fish that are “krill-ing” the game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

To be honest, the transition between living at home in a small community to moving into a small dorm room on a large college campus is harder than it looks. For many students, struggles range anywhere from a longing for family to not knowing how to do the laudry. As a college freshman, I’ve seen and experienced all emotions, good and bad, surrounding leaving the nest and trying to make a new home away from home. For me, the hardest aspect of living in the dorms is living so far away from my two dogs: Oliver and Jaxx. When I first moved in, I kept waiting for one of my dogs to nudge the door open to my room, hop on my bed, curl up with me, and fall asleep in between my legs like he did at home; that nudge at the door never came.

Though the dorms prohibit almost all pets, they do allow this cute critter; fish! No, they can’t cuddle at your feet at night, or fetch a tennis ball, but there are several benefits of becoming a fish owner. Not only do they help relieve the separation anxiety between you and Fido at home, but fish are scientifically proven to reduce stress and lower blood pressure, which could come in handy during midterms and finals week. Fish are quiet for when you’re trying to study, they come in every shape and color known to man, and they are so low maintenance you could go to class, eat, study with a classmate, have a night on the town, crash at a friends, and still come back to a happy and healthy fish with no messes to clean up from not letting it outside for a couple hours.

College students are tight on money, space, and time, which makes a fish the ultimate roommate. Here’s a couple fish we think would love swimming home with you to your dorm sweet dorm:

1. Angelfish

The angelfish made the list for three major reasons. The first benefit, and the reason angelfish are so popular, is their beautiful colors and designs. The cichlid fish comes in multiple vibrant and beautiful varieties, which makes them alluring to anyone who comes into your room. The second reason angelfish made the top five is because they do better in pairs or packs. Angelfish love living with other angelfish, and that just gives you more to love. If you decide on a school of angelfish for your dorm, keep in mind they can become very territorial and do not do well in small tanks. Kent State dorms only allow 30 gallon tanks, and that may be the desired tank for your angelfish. The third reason for these cute critters to be your next best friend is because they are so easy (and cheap) to feed. They only need a couple pellets or flakes once a day; you could possibly throw him a bloodworm too since angelfish are carnivorous. It really is just that simple. The only reason this fish is number five instead of number one is because you have to be very meticulous with their water. Angelfish are prone to ‘ick’ which is a parasite. If the water is not clean, the fish are overcrowded, or the fish recieve an improper diet then they are more susceptible to ick.

Overall, angelfish are naturally beautiful, easy to feed, and easy to love. They ‘reel’-y want to be by your bedside.

2. Neon tetras

Here’s another species of fish that does very well with beginner owners. It’s beautiful color and peaceful attitude makes the neon tetra a main contender for the best fish for a college dorm. This tiny member of the fish family only need a 5-10 gallon tank, and love to share the tank with others. If you’re looking for a small, eye catching fish, then the neon tetra is right up your alley. With their color and sweet, social nature many people claim tetras to be the ‘gem of aquariums’. They love plant dense tanks so they have places to hide and rest, and only eat small fish flakes, pellets or freeze dried bloodworms. Their genetics are so well developed that they don’t even need much water care. Your tetra will be good to go with only a small filter, specific aquarium water, and occasional cleaning.

With exquisite color and easy going nature, you ‘dolphin’-ately need to check out these beauties.

3. Danios

Here’s another social sweetheart that loves to have little fish friends in the tank with them. Danios are extremely active. They love love chasing each other in aquariums and playing with currents made by the filter. They do well with about six or more danios and love swimming with other species, like tetras and corydoras. The brightly colored danios are a little more difficult to feed than angelfish, but their water is much easier to take care of. They also live comfortably in a much smaller tank. A couple danios, or other fish compatible with them, need about a 10 gallon tank with aquarium water, NOT tap water from a sink. For food, they enjoy a variety of different snacks. They eat flakes and pellets regularly and brine shrimps, bloodworms and tubifex worms occasionally.

Danios are the ultimate fish for beginners. I ‘trout’ you can find a better fish for busy college students.

4. Goldfish

Ah, yes, the stereotypical pet goldfish. Though this seems typical, it’s typical because goldfish are one of the best fish a girl can own. They’re one of the least fussiest fish when it comes to care; plus they are just so darn cute. Unlike many others, goldfish are not picky and will eat any type of fish food you throw its way; pellets, flakes, worms, you name it, they eat it. They also don’t need a heater like many tropical fish on the list. Goldfish are prepared for purchase at any pet store because they are so common. They love space, so the bigger the tank the better, but they can thrive in smaller ones as well. Try to stay away from fish bowls, though, they tend to be too small. They suit college students because of how low maintenance they truly are. All they need is a regular feeding schedule and a tank cleaning every week or so. If you take good care of them in a clean environment, your goldfish could live a long life; the world’s oldest goldfish was 43 years old!

All and all, with how easy goldfish are to take care of, I don’t think you ‘cod’ really do better.

5. Betta

I guess I should disclose this now: this list may be a little bias towards bettas. As this article is being typed, my betta fish sits next to me, watching the pictures of his fellow fish flash across the screen. I have owned Sushi (my betta) for six weeks, and every single day he’s been my fish he has made my life better. It’s nice to have a little buddy swim next to you while you work on assignments. It’s also nice to have someone to come home too after a long day in classes. Bettas made number one, not only because they’re pretty easy to take care of, but because they are one of the smartest fish to own. Betta fish are easily trained to follow you finger, flare it’s beautiful tail, or even jump through a hoop. They live long lives; about 2 to 5 years as long as their feed well and their tank is regularly cleaned. Betta’s do well being fed twice a day, but can go over 24 hours without food on occasion. They only need their tanks cleaned once a week as well, making them very low maintenance to own.

No matter if you pick tetras or betas, any fish on this list will make phenomenal pets and best friends as you try and survive a school year here at Kent. Not only are fish scientifically proven to improve their owners health, they also become a large part of your life and give you a sense of importance. Now, I’m done ‘squid’-ing around, go out and get yourself a fish. You deserve it!

Public Relations major with a political science minor. When not in coffee shops catching up on homework and writing, I'm usually covered in a blanket watching Planet Earth drinking a mango smoothie.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.