Puppy Hand Fun Ring Summer Hapy Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

“Adopt Don’t Shop” is a phrase you’ve probably heard when talking about getting a pet. The slogan is meant to encourage people to adopt their new furry friend from an animal shelter rather than purchase it from a breeder or puppy mill. Of course, no matter where you get your pet, they will be lovable and bring you joy, but there are many more benefits to adopting.

You Will Save a Life

According to the ASPCA, “each year, approximately 1.5 million shelter animals are euthanized.” Because the shelters are so overfilled, by adopting your pet, you save their life and make them a part of your family. Not only that, but you also open up shelter space for another animal who may be in need. 

You Save Money

The Finance Geek goes into exact detail on how much money it will cost to own a dog. Typically, it can cost anywhere from $500-$2,000+ to buy from a breeder whereas adopting a dog ranges from $40-$400. That’s a huge difference! Plus, when you adopt a pet, the cost to spay/neuter them as well as their first vaccines are often covered in the cost. 

It’s One Way to Fight Against Puppy Mills

Puppy mills are “factory-style breeding facilities” that house the animals in poor conditions and put profit above their well-being. Paws reports that 90% of puppies you can buy in pet stores or online are from puppy mills. No animal deserves to live under such harsh and unloving conditions. By adopting, you are ensuring that these puppy mills will not receive a penny, and you can confidently say that you did not help contribute to them. 

Easy to Train

Adult dogs in shelters are often already house trained. If you don’t have the time or patience to train, this is a great option. Still, want a small puppy? A rescue can find a puppy for you as well as having a thorough idea of their personalities, making it easy to know if they will be a good fit for your family!

You’ll Change Their World, and They’ll Change Yours

Finally, the most obvious reason to adopt! You’ll get a great new addition to your family and a best friend. What can be better than that?

Adopting clearly has many benefits over purchasing from a breeder or even pet store. To learn more on adoption or how to adopt, you can visit any of the links above or https://theshelterpetproject.org

Cassidy Gladieux

Kent State '23

Cassidy is a junior journalism student at Kent State minoring in creative writing. This is her third year writing for Her Campus and first year as a senior editor. Cassidy is also a features writer for KentWired. In her free time, she loves to read, go on runs, and cuddle with her dog. In the future, Cassidy hopes to write for a digital magazine and travel around the world!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.