This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

In today’s world, it seems that everyone is constantly listening to something. We plug in while driving, taking public transportation, walking, working or exercising. Although I love music and have some great go-to playlists, podcasts have become a staple for me. Podcasts may not be the best motivation for an intense workout, but I’ve found that I can be much more productive or keep my mind more active while creating art or driving long distances while listening to them. These are my top five podcasts that I listen to weekly and you should, too!

Dressed

Because I am a fashion major, you would have expected me to have discovered this incredibly interesting and educational podcast about this history of fashion and costume, but my mom actually got me hooked on it. Each episode looks at a different aspect of fashion in history and is discussed in detail by fashion historians April Calahan and Cassidy Zachary, who make the topics fun. There’s so much to learn about the clothes that we wear today and the evolution of how today’s costume came to be. Listen here!

Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness

We all know and love the eccentric Jonathan Van Ness from Queer Eye, but did you know that he hosts his own podcast? In each episode, JVN asks a question and discusses it with an expert on that topic. Sometimes it relates to beauty, sometimes politics, and sometimes it’s simply a profile on a good friend (such as the incredible Tan France). Not only are the episodes incredibly enlightening, but they are also hilarious. Who would have thought talking about the horrible fires in Australia and what people are doing to save animals could also be fun? JVN of course, hunny! Listen here.

This Podcast Will Kill You

Ever find yourself wanting to learn more about diseases and sicknesses for fun? Neither have I, until I found this podcast that is. Although I normally would not find information about disease intriguing, the way that Erin Welsh and Erin Allmann Updyke discuss them makes sickness sound very interesting. You’ll learn more than you ever thought about disease, all while actually enjoying it and laughing along. Listen here!

The Daily from the New York Times

Today’s politics and worldly happenings are a lot to take in. As a college student who is always on the go, I find it hard to take time to sit down and actually read the news. I felt very out of the loop and uniformed, the last thing I want to be in our crazy world, until I began listening to The Daily. A quick listen at only about 20-30 minutes each, each episode features host Michael Barbaro discussing an important topic in detail for the news that day with another reporter or expert on the issue. At the end of each episode, Barbaro quickly runs through a few other headlines that you should know about. Although there is always more to be updated on, having the information from this podcast is a great start to understanding what is happening in the world around us. Listen here!

My Favorite Murder

Yes, you read that right. The last podcast on my list, and most definitely my favorite, is called My Favorite Murder. Although the title sounds a little odd, it is one of the funniest, most interesting and informative podcasts that I have come across. Hosts Georgia Hardstark and Karen Kilgariff tell the stories of true crime throughout history. I find true crime fascinating, although incredibly dark. Hardstark and Kilgariff do an incredible job at making each episode funny and lightening the horrible stories they tell. They are also incredibly empathetic and do great work with bringing awareness to various issues within the stories and with the mental health of listeners. I cannot recommend this podcast enough, give an episode a listen and you’ll see what I mean, you’ll become a “murderino” in no time. Listen here!

Paige Sammons

Kent State '22

Paige is a sophomore student at Kent State University studying fashion design and minoring in accessories. When not writing, you can find Paige baking, painting, or sewing. She loves the environment, catching up with friends at coffee shops and caring for her cactus, Clarence.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.