This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

One Tree Hill is a teen drama that aired in the early 2000s. While there were some pretty dramatic and outrageous plotlines, there were also some important life lessons and quotes that I love and think anyone could stand to live by. Here are 5 of my favorites in no particular order:

“It’s the oldest story in the world. One day, you’re 17 and you’re planning for someday. And then quietly, without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life.”

I really love this one because it shows just how fast life moves and that you really have to take it all in and live in the moment or life will pass you by.

“There’s no shame in being afraid. Hell, we’re all afraid. What you gotta do is figure out what you’re afraid of because when you put a face on it, you can beat it. Better yet, you can use it.”

This quote was said by the older basketball coach who always gave really good life advice. I like this because it’s true that fears are normal, but if you embrace those fears and use them to your advantage, you can overcome things you may have never thought would be possible.

“What’s more important? What we become or how we become it?”

This quote is reminiscent of one of my favorite quotes, “It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey.” I think that is really important to remember as we often rush through life to achieve a certain goal whether that be graduating or getting a certain job, and we forget to embrace the moments that lead us to our goals because that is truly where you grow the most and learn things about yourself.

“Then you owe it to them to be the very best version of yourself. The version where you fight for what you want. The version where you’re not afraid to be great. You’re better for them when you live in your dreams, man. And there is nothing, nothing selfish about that.”

It seems as though so many people are afraid to stand up for themselves and be who they want to be, and I like that this quote emphasizes you are the best version of yourself for you and for others when you are happy living out your dreams.

“If you had a friend you knew you’d never see again, what would you say? If you could do one last thing for someone you love, what would it be? Say it, do it, don’t wait. Nothing lasts forever.” 

I think about this often, how short life is and that you never know when your last moment with someone will be. That is why I always try to embrace the time I get to spend with the ones I love.

Natalie is a freshman fashion merchandising student with a double minor in marketing and fashion media at Kent State. At home in Springboro, Ohio she enjoys spending time with friends, family, and her dog, Maci. Her interests include fashion, beauty, lifestyle, dogs and much more! In high school, she danced and participated in her high school's choir and theater program. While her studies are very important to her, she does enjoy being involved in many clubs and organizations including the Fashion Student Organization, Modista, and of course Her Campus. She hopes to one day live in a big city working for a fashion magazine, and just generally doing what she loves.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.