Molly Peach-Girl With Fall Leaves Outsidee
Molly Peach / Her Campus

5 Fall Movie Towns You Can Actually Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

With October in full swing and spooky season on the horizon, it’s time to start watching your favorite fall-time movies. If you too envy the towns and cities your fall favorites are set in, you’re in the right place. While some of these cozy and festive towns are fictional, there are a few you can actually visit in real life.

Hocus pocus- Salem, MA.

As a classic favorite, many are sure to be watching the three Sanderson sisters this fall. Based in Salem, Massachusetts, the movie follows Max, his sister Dani, their friend Allison and a magical talking cat. Together, they tour Salem trying to stop 3 evil witches and save the town on Halloween night.

Hocus Pocus Halloween GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

The town of Salem is already a notable spooky destination due to the Witch Trials that occurred in the 1600’s. It remains a town full of history and rich culture.

In terms of Hocus Pocus, you can actually go and see the various filming locations throughout the movie. These include the school, cemetery and even the character’s houses.

halloween town- st. helens, or.

Watching Halloween Town always invokes a sense of nostalgia that we all like to feel during this time of year. The story centers around Marnie and her siblings as they unknowingly follow their grandma into a magical town called Halloweentown. Marnie discovers she comes from powerful witches and the whole family must fight against an evil that is threatening the town.

Halloween Disney GIF by filmeditor - Find & Share on GIPHY

Although Halloweentown isn’t actually a magic filled place, you can still visit it. The movie itself was filmed in St. Helens, Oregon.

Since the filming, St. Helens has held a festival in the movie’s honor. This festival takes place from mid- September through October 31. They hold a variety of activities including costume contests, tarot card readings and even light the Great Pumpkin!

practical magic- Coupeville, wa.

An adaption of an Alice Hoffman novel, “Practical Magic” is one of the more mature fall movies on this list. It follows two sisters who grow up in a beautiful East Coast mansion and are raised by their eccentric aunts. When they grow into adults, they are left dealing with love, magic and curses in ways they’ve never had to before. Women empowerment is a major theme threaded throughout the entire movie. But, it also follows some heavier topics such as abuse and grief.

Sandra Bullock Love This Movie So Much GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

The film was set and based in a real town in Coupeville, Washington. The historic town sits on Whidbey Island and is one of the oldest communities in Washington state. There, you can visit all the small town shops and coastal vibes that inspired ‘Practical Magic!”

when harry met sally- New York, ny.

When Harry Met Sally isn’t exactly “Halloween” themed, but it does contain many picturesque fall scenes. The movie, in typical rom-com style, follows two characters who take over a decade to end up together. Meeting as strangers, Harry and Sally travel to New York together and clash over differing opinions of relationships. Over the next ten years, they bump into each other and talk about their own relationships.

When Harry Met Sally Fall GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

The movie was filmed and based in New York City. Although this isn’t necessary a small unknown town, it is a notable mention. You can visit many of the shops and landmarks included in the movie throughout the city. Maybe you’ll even find your own Harry or Sally to bump into.

gilmore girls- Washington, ct.

I know this isn’t technically a movie, but I couldn’t help but include it. Gilmore Girls isn’t exclusively a fall time show, but it definitely is a favorite to watch in the cooler months. The show follows Rory and Lorelai Gilmore, a mother and daughter duo navigating different stages of life.

Season 5 Lukes Diner GIF by Gilmore Girls  - Find & Share on GIPHY

The creator of the show, Amy Sherman-Palladino happened to end up in Washington, Connecticut on accident. Her and her husband toured the area and Palladino dreamed up the “Gilmore Girl’s” town, Stars Hollow. Some of the major places in the show, like Luke’s Diner and the Independence Inn, are even inspired by real places located in Washington!

When the leaves start to fall and the weather gets colder, there’s nothing better than cozying up to watch a movie, and what is better than watching a movie? Feeling like you’re in it yourself. All these towns and cities will give you that feeling without a doubt. So if you’re planning an upcoming road trip and love fall-time, definitely add these towns to your list.

Mariah Alanskas

Kent State '24

Hello! I am a sophomore majoring in journalism.I love to read, paint, and explore new places. I am extremely passionate about the environment, health/wellness living, and traveling! When I graduate, I would love to do investigative or magazine style journalism.