This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Thanksgiving is loved for many reasons, but for most people, the top reason is food. It’s hard to deny how great the holiday is when you are surrounded by a delicious meal, and best of all, delicious dessert! Though the traditional treats are wonderful, I took it upon myself to gather five new dessert ideas for the Thanksgiving holiday. Whether you are looking for a new favorite or want to try a twist on an old favorite, check out these recipes!  

Pecan Bars with Shortbread Crust 

Pecan pie is a Thanksgiving classic, but this similar treat is a fun new way to go about the pecan flavoring. These bars are easier to make than a homemade pecan pie and can be easily cut into bars for simple serving. For more convenience, you can make these bars ahead of the holidays and leave them in the freezer until the day before your gathering when you can then switch them to the fridge to thaw! 

Mini Pumpkin Spice Cheesecakes 

A perfect fall flavor, these mini pumpkin spice cheesecakes are another simple to make/able to freeze option! A mix between the traditional pumpkin pie and cheesecake, these single-serving treats are a great option for those who aren’t exactly pie lovers.  

Apple Blondies 

Simple ingredients and a simple recipe, apple blondies seem like the no-brainer baking choice for those who don’t have full confidence in their skills. Adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream can make these apple pie/brownie/cookie hybrids even more delightful. 

Caramel Apple Mousse Cake 

Another twist on the traditional use of apple, this caramel apple mousse cake is comprised of multiple creamy mousse layers in between spiced cake. Since Thanksgiving is usually a time for pies, it’s fun to see classic fall flavors being used in a cake as an alternative. With all of its layers and the topping of caramel drizzle and pecans, this treat is sure to impress your friends and family.

Orange Cranberry Bread with Orange Glaze 

A bit of a departure from the classic Thanksgiving dessert flavors, this glazed sweet bread would be a refreshing addition to the holiday line-up. This one is a bit of a trickier recipe to execute, so it may be better for a more experienced baker looking for a challenge. I’m sure we all know how heavy a Thanksgiving dinner can be, but who wants to skip dessert on a holiday? The more refreshing fruit flavor in this bread could be a nice solution to the feeling overstuffed dilemma.

There you have it: five new Thanksgiving dessert ideas perfect for family or Friendsgiving! Hopefully, your mouth isn’t watering too much after looking through these holiday bakes. If you decide to give any of these a try, I hope they are as wonderful as they sound! 

Haley Tiepelman

Kent State '20

Haley is a Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State University and is minoring in Fashion Media. Along with fashion, she loves music and attending concerts, especially in her hometown of St.Louis.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.