This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

What better time to pick up a new book than during the holidays? With holiday breaks coming up, many of us will have a little more time to do the things we enjoy. For me, that includes reading! However, finding a new book to start reading can be overwhelming. Here is my list of book recommendations to help you find your perfect new read, no matter what book genre you prefer!

“Chemical Hearts” by Krystal Sutherland

“Chemical Hearts” is about a boy named Henry Page who meets Grace Town, a transfer student from a nearby school, and follows their friendship and crushes as they get to know each other and become closer. Grace is fiery and mysterious and that really attracts Henry so he seeks to learn more about her past. Their relationship is adorable, messy and familiar. This book truly tore my heart to pieces so if you’re looking for a good teen romance novel, this is the book for you. 

“In Five Years” by Rebecca Serle

I tend to find myself describing this book as “an adult coming-of-age story” because that is truly the perfect way to describe it. “In Five Years” follows Dannie Kohan, a lawyer in New York City, who has her whole life planned out. In the book, she falls asleep and wakes up five years later and it’s nothing like she thought it would be. After going back to the present, Dannie tries to shake off what happened but it doesn’t work. All while her life is changing right before her eyes in ways she never thought would happen. This is a phenomenal novel and I truly think everyone should read it if they get the chance.

“The Woman In The Window” by A. J. Finn

Anna Fox, a lonely agoraphobe, sees something she shouldn’t one night after her new neighbors, the Russells, move in. The events of that night cause everything in Anna’s life to fall apart. Anna is finally forced to face her fears and deal with her past all while trying to comprehend the events of that night and convince anyone to believe what she saw. You won’t know what is real and what isn’t or who is truly innocent and who isn’t. This novel will have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish and will leave you speechless. 

“Shoe Addicts Anonymous” by Beth Harbison

If light-hearted easy reads are more your style, this is the book for you. “Shoe Addicts Anonymous” follows four women; Helene Zaharis, Lorna Rafferty, Sandra Vanderslice and Jocelyn Bowen. Four completely different women with only two things in common; the same shoe size and the same desire for more shoes. They meet Tuesday nights and trade shoes, secrets and insights into their lives and troubles. In this novel, you get to follow each woman along as they live their lives and all find themselves in the same world somehow.

“The 5 Love Languages” by Gary Chapman

I know nonfiction can sound boring, but hear me out on this one. “The 5 Love Languages” informs you all about each different love language and helps you understand how you give and receive love. It can be so helpful with any relationship to understand how each person feels love. The results might surprise you! There is even a quiz at the end to help the reader find their love language! This book is a super quick and helpful read.

All of these recommendations are perfect for an easy read during the holiday break! Each one is a completely different genre from the others so no matter what you enjoy reading, something on this list is for you! Happy reading!

Talia Gogel

Kent State '23

Hi! My name is Talia Gogel and I'm a sophomore fashion merchandising at Kent State! I love shopping, cooking, bunnies, astrology, and reading! I’m involved in the Fashion Student Organization, a member of Tri Sigma Sorority, and HerCampus!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.