Grown-ish
Grown-ish
ABC Signature Studios

5 Black Women Actors You Should Be On The Lookout For!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

There is a new crop of young, talented and fiery black actresses emerging in Hollywood and we’re excited to see it! These women, and more, have starred in many of our favorite movies and TV shows. Some have even been a part of renowned franchises including DC and Marvel Comics. There are also a few award-winning ladies on this list.

Teyonah Parris

Born in 1987, Teyonah is a North Carolina native who has starred in movies like Dear White People, Chi-Raq and If Beale Street Could Talk. She stepped into big shoes recently when she signed on to play “Monica Rambeau” in Marvel’s WandaVision currently streaming on Disney+. Parris will continue on with her role as Monica in the second edition to the Marvel franchise Captain Marvel 2.

Dominque Fishback

Dominique Fishback’s name has been ringing bells over the past year for her acting roles in Netflix’s Power starring alongside Jaime Foxx and her role in the Golden Globe-nominated, Judas and the Black Messiah. Fans fell in love with Fishback after her appearance in The Hate You Give in 2018 and she continues to woo them with her big smile and down-home attitude.

Marsai Martin

Marsai Martin has hands-down become a fan favorite. At just 14 years old, her name was entered in the Guinness Book of World Records as she became the youngest executive producer in Hollywood for her work on the movie Little, which she starred in as well. Martin is most known for her infamous role as “Diane” on the ABC comedy Black-Ish that she stars in alongside veteran actors, Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross. Martin has also won a slew of awards including NAACP Image Awards, Young Entertainers’ Awards and Young Artists’ Awards.

China Ann McClain

At just 22 years old, China Ann McClain has already been an actress for 15 years. Her first role was in the movie The Gospel and she has been pretty active ever since. One of her most notable roles was when she starred alongside her sisters in Tyler Perry’s Daddy’s Little Girls. McClain went on to star as rambunctious “Jazmin Payne” in Tyler Perry’s House of Payne. Her current role features her acting as “Lightning” in DC Comics Black Lightning. Although the show is in its final season, I’m sure we’ll see China McClain in many more roles in the future.

Yara Shahidi

This actress has definitely stolen the hearts of many for not only her acting skills but her heart towards activism. Yara Shahidi has starred alongside legends like Eddie Murphy and Angelina Jolie and even has a relationship with former first lady Michelle Obama! Shahidi is most known for her role as “Zoey” on ABC’s Black-Ish and she even has her own spin-off from the show called Grown-Ish. When she’s not busy acting, you can find her busy with the organization she co-founded called WeVoteNext or answering 73 questions with Vogue Magazine.

These women are becoming powerful forces in the entertainment industry! Be on the lookout for them as they continue to grace our movie and TV screens.

Lisa Evans is a graduate student at Kent State University majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications. While Lisa is not focusing on her school work, she is a faith and lifestyle blogger and loves creating her personal brand on Instagram!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.