This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I have always loved movies. I love the way they are able to bring a story to life in a more immersive way and show human experiences that you might not see otherwise. One of things I most enjoy about movies though is the characters. A well-developed character in movie can have real impact on the way you view the world or yourself. Characters in movies have had a hand in the person I am today, especially female characters. From fashion to just life in general, these women have helped to show me I can be whoever I want and live whatever type of life I want, no matter people’s judgments.   

Frances Ha: Frances Halladay

This movie is about a woman named Frances Halladay, played by Greta Gerwig, who is struggling to find an apartment and become a “proper” adult. I love Frances because she reminds me of myself in the way that she interacts with people. She says whatever comes into her mind, even if it isn’t a cohesive thought and she wears her heart on her sleeve. The other reason why I love Frances is because she is struggling to find her place in life. She’s 27 and everyone around her seems to have their lives more in order then herself, but she doesn’t allow that to get her down. She stays genuine to who she is no matter people’s perceptions of her and along the way she makes a few mistakes, but don’t we all? I think Frances shows us that there is no specific timeline to life and its okay if you are having a hard time figuring everything out. Whenever I watch this movie I always feel better because I love Frances. She is a wonderful and funny person, but also because it’s like watching myself (except I’m not a modern dancer) and it lets me know that it’s okay to not to have everything together.

Relatable quotes: 

“I know that. I see documentaries.”

“I’m not messy I’m busy.”

Lady Bird: Christine aka Lady Bird

This movie is about a girl named Christine and her trying to get through her senior year of high school. Again, I love this character because she reminds me of myself in many ways. She goes to Catholic school, lives in a place that has a Midwest feel (Sacramento is often called the Midwest of California), and is eccentric. I think that Christine is one of the most relatable characters ever. Everyone know what’s it’s like to be a senior in high school; It’s a scary period because it’s right before your about to have this big life change and you have to make a decision that could define an important part of your life. Also, she is trying to figure out that kind of person she wants to be which is hard. She thinks she knows and then something happens, and she becomes unsure. You see her at her most vulnerable points when she is fighting with her mom, having a horrible first time with a boy, or lies about where she lives because she is embarrassed by it. You get to see her journey in becoming the person she I meant to be and how all of these experiences will shape her. She teaches us that is okay to make mistakes in life, and you can rise above those mistakes. Christine shows us that life is rough, and it’s not what you expect but you can get through it.

Relatable quotes:

No way. I want schools like Yale, but not Yale because I probably couldn’t get in.”

“I want to go to the East Coast. I want to go where culture is like New York.”

Pretty In Pink: Andie

Before I talk about Andie, I have to say I love this movie but I absolutely hate the end of it. We all know that she should have been with Ducky at the end and Blaine is the worst. I have seen puddles with more depth then him. Now with that out the way, we can talk about Andie.

Andie is an awesome character, not just because she has awesome style but because she knows who she is and she doesn’t put up with people’s shit. She has job, she gets straight A’s, and she cares for her father all by herself. When Andie starts seeing Blaine, she becomes unsure of herself because he is rich and she is not. She wonders if she can date a person who is so different from herself and has a completely different view of the world. At first, Andie gets caught up in idea of this cute guy liking her, but Blaine shows his true colors. He starts avoiding her and when Andie confronts him he can’t even tell her the truth about how he is a snob and is embarrassed to be seen with her. This scene in particular shows us how amazing she is, because she calls him on his lie and she doesn’t put up with that crappy behavior. We see Andie make herself this beautiful prom dress and she goes to the dance alone. When she arrives she is unsure of herself but Ducky comes and they walk into together- two people that treat each other with respect and kindness. Andie teaches us that you have to stay true yourself no matter what people are saying. She also shows us that you shouldn’t let a guy feel bad about who you are, because you’re amazing and you deserve to be someone who respects you.

Relatable quotes:

“If somebody doesn’t believe in me, I can’t believe in them.”

“I just want them to know that they didn’t break me.”

Harry Potter Series: Hermione

Hermione has taught me how to own my power and be a woman in charge. Without Hermione, Harry and Ron would not have only failed out of Hogwarts, but both be dead. One of the greatest things about this series is that we get to see the characters grow for longer periods of time. In the beginning of the series Hermione is often shamed for how knowledgeable she is, but she never lets that put her down. She takes charge and embraces her gift of knowledge, never letting any man make her feel bad about it. Another lesson we can learn from Hermione is that she is a loyal and good friend. Harry and Ron fight at different points in the series and they act terribly to one another, but Hermione is always there helping both of them and she calls them out when they are acting stupid.

Hermione stand her ground and doesn’t let people put her down or talk badly about her. One of the best scenes of the entire series is when she punches Draco in the face because he’s a jerk. Hermione is shows us that you shouldn’t let anyone try to make you feel bad about the talents you have and that you can take control of any situation with confidence.

Relatable quotes:

“Just because you’ve got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn’t mean we all have.” 

“Honestly, don’t you two read?” 

All of these women, though fictional, have helped shaped me t be the person I am. They have taught me meany life lessons and helped me embrace who I am.

Elaina Mendiola

Kent State '22

Elaina is a Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State University. She enjoys watching movies, hanging out with her dogs, thrifting, listening to podcasts, and being with friends. As a Her Campus writer, she hopes to share her passions of fashion and feminism while making others laugh along the way. Her very favorite things are her dog Priscilla, Manrepeller, and the podcast True Crime Obsessed.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.