26 Little Things Everyone Smiles at but We Never Talk About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Those days where literally everything that could possibly go wrong does are the worst kind of days. I started writing down things that make me happy and because we don’t always get to have the best days, I made sure to include a lot, so here are 26 things to make you smile!

A Kid That Loves Colors

I’m aware of how random this is, but I thought it was an adorable way to begin this very lengthy list. Plus, kids are just little examples of sunshine and watching them wear or get excited about colors, or anything for that matter is something that I can’t help but smile about.

Baking

Baking will forever hold a happy place in my heart. A lot of that is because I grew up baking with my mom and sister, and still do today. Even if you don’t, I feel like everyone loves baked goods, so really what’s really wrong here?

Coloring

It sounds cheesy because it is. Coloring was the best medicine for little you, and times have not changed, my friend! The little kid inside of you still loves coloring, and it’s still just as relaxing and fun.

Dogs

This is an obvious one, but a good one nonetheless. I’ve grown up loving dogs, and that will never change. As long as you’re not allergic, find a little pupper and give them so much love that they’ll want to follow you home. If you’re on a college campus, there are emotional support dogs that are available with the purpose of being pet, and I assure you you’ll be making their day as much as they’re making yours.

Every Single Type of Laugh

Making someone laugh when they’re sad has to be the best feeling in the world, and nothing will ever beat that. However, a good belly laugh is phenomenal, especially when you start laughing, then you start making someone else laugh, but then you start laughing even harder because of their laugh, and it’s just a continuous cycle of wonderful laughing.

Finishing Something You Worked Really Hard on

I know this sounds super obvious, but when you’re working for a bunch of days, weeks, hours or however long on something, that can be really draining after a while. When it’s all over with, you can finally take a real breath and relax, and that hits so different.

Giving Someone You Love a Gift

Okay, don’t get me wrong, giving someone a gift during Christmas is wonderful and all, but randomly giving someone something you know they’ll love is a different kind of happiness! I recently decided to become more of an old lady and teach myself how to knit. After finishing my first scarf, I thought I would give it to the person that wears more scarves than anyone else: my mom. It was especially adorable because my mom never expects any gifts ever (she’s especially hard to shop for during times like Christmas because she doesn’t ever want anyone spending money on her). She’s truly adorable. When I gave it to her, she tried to convince me to wrap it up for Christmas. Whatever or whoever it may be for, I truly hope you get to see the joy of other people’s joy.

Hearing Someone Agree With You

This can range anywhere from someone saying they got the same answer as you on a test that you walked out of knowing you failed (you know the type), or just realizing you have the same interests as someone else can be really relieving!

Ice Cream

I was going to put in desserts for D, but I really wanted to put in dogs (for obvious reasons), and I’m heavily addicted to ice cream, so this worked out well! Truly though, if you’re feeling kind of down, that little bit of ice cream that’s meant to make you happy will not make you gain as much weight as you’re thinking it will. Enjoy the heck out of it. You’ve earned it.

Just All Animal Videos

This is where I subtly put in my obsession with animals and encourage you to leave this article (and return if you so wish) to go binge a bunch of cute little animal videos! Bonus points if you wait until you laugh to return.

Kindness

Whenever I see something so pure and kind just randomly throughout my day, that day is instantly made better. The other day, I saw this older woman giving this younger girl money for the parking meter and as she was thanking her, the older woman continued to ask her if she needed more. There was just so much joy and willingness to be kind; it was wonderful.

Love

I couldn’t not put this in, because whether you’re in a relationship or not, you’re loved! I know this sounds like a super cheesy Hallmark Channel advertisement, but truly, I think it’s insane that it’s such a universal thing. 

Magic

We all love a good magic trick, but I’m not just talking about card tricks! I mean the type of magic that you felt around Christmas time when you were younger (or now) or when you see lights up for holidays or believe anything that sounds kind of fake but you couldn’t care less because you’re just excited. That is the best feeling in the world…to believe anything could happen!

Nerves

This one may be controversial, but I have a fairly strange relationship with it, so allow me to share! I’m a fairly nervous person. When I was younger, I prepared for literally every possible scenario, so I think it’s super healthy to be somewhat nervous; it’s the most human reaction we have. Our bodies literally function off of it, because when it’s confused its go-to emotional reaction is fear. What I’m getting at though, is nerves show that you care! When you get overly worried and anxious, oftentimes it’s because you want said thing to go well. 

Outfits that Make You Feel Bomb

When I’m feeling bummed out, I get in either really comfy clothes and read/write, or watch Netflix, or literally anything on this list. I could also get in a cute outfit and go for a little walk. You can go to a coffee shop and treat yourself to a coffee or hot chocolate, or anything that just makes your heart smile.

People-Watching

I didn’t think about how possibly creepy this one may sound until I started writing it, so allow me to explain. If you’re going people-watching because you’re watching one person throughout the day Phoebe Buffay-style, that’s stalking! Don’t do that. I personally don’t see anything wrong with going to a cafe and admiring all the little conversations and lives happening around you. I think there’s a lot of beauty in that, and maybe you will too.

Quizzing Yourself Randomly with Personality Quizzes

It’s strange how well this works, but Buzzfeed quizzes are a personal addiction for me. I think it’s just because they make me feel good! Like, “yeah, I’ll take a quiz to find out what type of bread I am; I love carbs!”

Running

I know this one is controversial, but I can’t count how many times a good run has saved a bad day for me! It’s also my favorite season for running right now. Even if you’re not a big running person, go for a walk, smell the crisp air, put on some good music and move your body. It’ll make you feel extra good later when you want to eat some sweets because you’ll feel like you’ve earned it. Even if you only go out and exercise for 10 minutes, that’s 10 minutes you dedicated to your body.

Singing

When you’re feeling kind of sad, we’re all guilty of watching sad movies and listening to sad music…but don’t do that. There are studies that show smiling can actually make you happier, and what makes you happy? Happiness! And what causes happiness? Singing! So crank up your favorite car jams and sing your little heart out. And I’m not talking about the pretty kind of singing, I mean the kind you only do when you’re in the car by yourself and you wanna just belt it out like you’re the winner of a singing competition. Be proud of your voice, because everyone can sing (not everyone should, but everyone can, and so can you!)

Talking to Your Mom :)

Any person you love will work for this one. I think we can all agree that talking to your mom (or hugging your mom, if you can) after an incredibly long day is the best feeling in the entire world.

Unintentionally Doing Something Good

This is the best because you’re not even planning on something good happening, it just does, and that alone is magic!

Visualizing Your Future

This has honestly made me feel much better when I’ve had a really rough time. I tend to overthink a lot of things and get super nervous unnecessarily about literally everything. Something I started doing to combat that is creating a scene where I see myself in the future. It can be absolutely anything you hope to accomplish. It can be anything from your career to relationships, or anything else you find comfort in.

Winter

I ask that you refrain from thinking of how awful it is in the morning to have to shovel snow from the driveway. Instead, think about the feeling you get when you’ve been outside for far too long and come into a heated building and it feels like you’re slowly being wrapped in a fluffy blanket!

Xerus

I didn’t even know these existed, but these are actually a type of African squirrel. They have minimal correlation to this article, but they made me smile, so they made the cut. Plus, look how cute they are.

Yellow

It’s just the happiest color and reminds me of sunshine!

Zarnder

What I can choose for this one is pretty limited here, so I thought it would be fun to introduce you to something you likely already love. Today, I learned that this is what loose ringlets of hair are called! Maybe this is just a weird “me thing,” but I think it’s really satisfying when there’s just one little curl of hair out of place. Anyway, it made me smile!

I hope this helped in some way if you were feeling kind of down. Or maybe it just made you smile when you were already happy, and either way, that makes me happy! I hope you enjoyed this very happy and very alphabetical list.

Kristin Berchak is a senior Digital Media Production major. She works as a showrunner for an entertainment show for TV2, The Blurb, loves running, writing, reading, baking, creating and just staying busy! She loves movies and television (and far too many baking shows!) She is very excited to work as an editorial member for HerCampus at Kent State University!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.