25 Essential Dorm Room Things You NEED

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

If you’re a freshman you’re probably excited and nervous because you have no idea what to expect.. Good news for you, I’m here to help. Starting with everything dorm decor.

Here’s a guide to 25 things you better have on your packing list for your dorm room!

What you should DEF bring:

1. Bedside table that clips on.

This is a place you’ll more than likely put your phone and other things you’ll maybe need in the middle of the night. You’ll also might have your bed lifted up higher and you won’t want to climb up and down a million times. If you’re not raised put the things you use a lot in this, like your room key or car keys and wallet. 

2. Shower Caddy/ Shower Flip Flops

If you have a shower in your room, considered yourself blessed. If not, you better be prepares to sometimes be completely grossed out by other people’s ideas of hygine. Get a big carrier that will you will just grab and go. And PLEASE wear flip flops. Don’t put too much trust into the people around you. Your wart-free feet will thank you later….

3. Clip Light that hooks onto your bed.

This light will be your best friend. It’s easy access to a source of light and not too bright. Because like I said earlier, you’re not going to want to climb up and down to turn the lights on and off. And if your roommate is sleeping, you can have it on without disturbing them. Please…. don’t be that roommate who leaves the lights on when the other is sleeping…. #rude #worstroomateever 

4. Over the door hangers/Command Strips

These are SO helpful. It’s a quick way to hang up your jacket or purse and it’s out of the way, and it keeps a few things off the dirty floor… that you probably need to sweep…but don’t. Also Command Strips can hold your pictures that you will probably get sick of seeing every day of the semester. 

5. Slippers

Dorm room floors get cold! Protect your little piggies in some comfortable cozy slippers. Your feet will need a break anyway from all the walking you’ll do all day from class to class.

6. Plastic Drawers for extra clothing space

Let’s face it, you’re going to pack way to many clothes because you think you’ll have room. instead of shoving them all in your closet, have some organization to it and label what’s in each drawer. It cuts down the time you’ll spend looking for something in a cramped messy room.

7. A lap desk

We all know what this is. And trust me… just get one. Especially if you’re a bed studier.

8.  Laundry Bags

Unfortunately your mom can’t come to you every week and do your laundry. So you’re going to have to do your own. Invest in some cute laundry bags that aren’t going to rip half way through the semester. 

9. Bedding that you love. 

Get some cozy sheets, pillows, and a comforter. I also recommend getting a foam mattress pad for some extra comfort. Your back will thank you…

10. Organizational tools for your desk.

When you’re studying you want everything in it’s place and not distracting you from your studies. Also, who wants to study at a messy un-organized desk? Labels are your best friend.

11. A good planner

If you have a cute planner, you’ll probably use it more than the 99 cent one your mom bought at the grocery store. Always keep it near you. Don’t think ” oh I’ll remember that… I don’t have to write it down”

Trust me, you’re not going to remember. Write EVERYTHING down. College gets hectic. Don’t let it defeat you. 

12. A cute Tote bag / Book bag 

Invest in a good tote or bag. You’ll be carrying a lot of things with you all day, and if you have a book bag that isn’t practical, it’s going to hurt your back and shoulders. Make sure you have one that fits more than one notebook and maybe one book.

13. A good water bottle

This is something people don’t normally think about. Even if you’re sitting in your dorm room or walking to class, stopping to get a drink sometimes is just annoying. Be prepared and carry one with you. You’ll thank me when you’re sitting in your 3 hour class and you’re thirsty. Been there, done that.

14. Cute Decor

I’m not saying go crazy and order everything out of the catalog. Be realistic. You have limited space. Make your room homey for you and your roommate. You’ll be spending a lot of time in that small space, don’t clutter it with things you don’t need. Coordinate with your roomie ahead of time. That will prevent two completley different color schemes and styles clashing.

15. Dry Erase Board Calendar 

Write out important dates you’ll need to remember. Always write down when they’re having free food events. Always.

16. Trash Can

Self Explanatory….. I hope.

17. Fans!

If you have air-conditioning in your dorm, consider yourself lucky. If not, BRING ALL THE FANS. When you get there it will be August. No one wants to be hot and sticky when trying to study or sleep.

18. Extra Outlets 

You’re going to have a lot of electronics and you’ll have to share outlets with your roommate. Also, you may have your room arranged to where it’s impossible to even use some of them. So instead, bring your own and move them around to where it’s easy for you to access them. 

19. Breakfast Foods

Mornings are hard in college. Who wants to wake up and go to the dining hall? You’d rather just take that time and use it to sleep longer. Go to the store with your mom before coming and stock up on breakfast bars and anything that is easy to grab and go to eat on the way to class. Breakfast is important. It will also calm your rumbling stomach when you have classes back to back with no breaks. Even if you’re not hungry right when you wake up, pack them!

20. Basic Cleaning Products

I’m not saying pack every little thing, But some clorox wipes and spray won’t hurt. 

21. Full Length Mirror

For those nights of going out, you’ll want to see your entire outfit… not just half. Buy one and hang it on the back the door or on the closet door. 

22. Basic Medications

When the idiots next door to you are being loud and annoying, you’ll get a headache. Always be prepared. You never know how much you need something unless you don’t have it.

23. Small Vacuum

Don’t pack the Dyson… Pack some where you can fold it up and stick it somewhere and doesn’t take up too much space. 

24. A good set of headphones

I’m actually wearing some right now! They’re a life saver when you don’t want to hear your roommate talking on the phone or the when your negihbor’s boyfriend is in town… and you’re trying to study history. Get the ones that cover your ears. 

25. Coffee Maker

College students run on coffee. If you don’t like coffee,  you will when it’s finals week.

Things to skip packing

1. Clothes that aren’t in season

Trust me, that puffy coat will not be touched for a couple months. Leave it at home and get it when you go back. If not, you’re wasting space in your already small closet.

2. Stuffed Animals

Leave Mr. Cuddlesworth at home. I’m sure the cute boy down the hall won’t be too impressed when he sees that lying next to your pillow…

3. Old High School Yearbooks

Leave them at home. No one cares about all the clubs you were in. Bring pictures of your friends instead.

4. High School Apparel

The entire campus does not need to know what you did in high school. Bring a few shirts. Make your college your new apparel. 

5. Huge stereo systems. 

Please don’t be that room blasting music at 6 p.m. on a Wednesday night…. You won’t get friendly stares… or nice notes…

I hope this helps, happy shopping, and may the discounts be ever at your favor!

Hello! I'm Morgan! I'm a Junior majoring in Visual Journalism. My passions include photography and graphic design. I'm obsessed with Dunkin Donuts, and puppies are my weakness. Check out my articles!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.