17 shows to watch out for in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

We have come to a time where revivals and remakes of original television series has become a thing, such as Fuller House, Girl Meets World and Gilmore Girls. We have also come to a time where our favorite television series that have been on for years are finally going off air, such as Pretty Little Liars. Which is why I have composed a list of new television series premiering this year that are sure to be spectacular. 

1. Star

When: December 14, 2016

Where: FOX

Why Watch: The show’s pilot appeared last year, but the series’ premiere was earlier in January this year. If you are a fan of the fame packed show, Empire, you should put this show on your to watch list because it was created by Lee Daniels, the same man who co-created Empire. And also, who doesn’t like girl groups?

2. The Mick

When: January 1, 2017

Where: FOX

Why Watch: The plot sounds a little bit like Melissa and Joey at first, but you soon realize Mickey is the opposite of Mel Burke.

3. One Day at a Time

When:  January 6, 2017

Where: Netflix

Why Watch: The new series has the same concept as the original series, but is based around a Cuban-American family.

4. Emerald City

When: January 6, 2017

Where: NBC

Why Watch: Remakes of the classic movie are always fun to watch to see how the production takes a new spin on the backstories of the memorable characters.

5. Six

When: July 18, 2017

Where: History

Why Watch: An action packed show that deals with real world politics and issues

6. Riverdale

When: January 26, 2017

Where: The CW

Why Watch: If you are looking for a new drama show to come ruin your life (ahem, Pretty Little Liars) or if you are a fan of the original Archie Comics, this is the show for you.

7. Powerless

When: February 2, 2017

Where: NBC

Why Watch: This will be Vanessa Hudgen’s first lead role in a television series and it is a sitcom superhero tv show.

8. 24: Legacy

When: February 5, 2017 

Where: FOX

Why Watch: Because it’s a spin-off of the original series.

9. Legion

When: February 8, 2017

Where: FX

Why Watch: A tv show that deals with mental illness in an empowering manner and how it does not define you.

10. Big Little Lies

When: February 19, 2017

Where: HBO

Why Watch: It features three powerhouse actresses, Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, and Shailene Woodley.

11. Taken

When: Febraury 27, 2017

Where: NBC

Why: If it’s as good as the original movie series, it is a must watch.

12. Marvel’s Iron Fist

When: March 17, 2017

Where: Netflix

Why Watch: Marvel’s version of the The CW series, Arrow.

13. Star Trek: Discovery

When: May 2017

Where: CBS

Why Watch: It star’s Sonequa Martin-Green from The Walking Dead.

14. The Arrangement

When: 2017

Where: E!

Why Watch: It’s about an actress who it a about to take on a real-life role of a lifetime.

15. Twin Peaks

When: May 21, 2017

Where: Showtime

Why Watch: If you were a fan of the original series, why not give the continutation of the orginial series a chance?

16. Shots Fired

When: May 22, 2017

Where: FOX

Why Watch: With the Black Lives Matter Movement becoming so prominent, it would be nice to gain some insight to what it really going on.

17. Marvel’s Inhumans

When: September 26, 2017

Where: ABC

Why Watch: The first two episodes will be shown in IMAX theaters on September 1, which means the tv series is a huge deal and is already looking to start off strong.

Ciao everyone! My name is Marion Kpandeyenge and I am currently a freshman at Kent State University, where I am majoring in Fashion Merchandising. I have a passion for fashion, but my love for writing holds a very special place in my heart.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.