Wellness > Health

12 Songs to Keep on Your Quarantine Walk Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I’ve gone on about as many walks as humanly possible these past few months, and I think we can all agree that while it is a great feeling to successfully go for a run down every single path in your neighborhood, it’s nothing without a good playlist. Therefore, I have gone through to create the ultimate walking playlist so you don’t have to! I tried to include a lot of songs that stray more toward a proper jam versus sadder songs, but of course, there are plenty of songs that deserve a cry session, too!

“Somebody to Love” – Queen

Queen is a classic band for every playlist. Feel free to substitute your own personal favorite, this song just hits differently for me! It’s not even because it’s talking about the fact that I’m incredibly single, but rather that I’m so sick of living every day the exact same way (which feels especially familiar right now). It also gives me “Bohemian Rhapsody” (another good choice) vibes with the choir in the background. It’s the best song when you’re in the mood to dance I can’t think of a better song to start a good walk.

“Sign of the Times” – Harry Styles

This is 100% the song that I better hear at my own funeral.If this doesn’t play, I’m not dying. It’s honestly nothing in particular, I like it because I remember it came out at the end of the school year where things felt at peace, warm and comfortable. I was 17 and high-key missing One Direction in every way. I’m aware that it’s a very emotional song, and I completely understand if you choose a different Harry Styles song in place of this pop-rock masterpiece. However, it always reminds me of new beginnings and escaping bad situations when they’re no longer healthy, which always feels incredibly relieving whenever I listen to it.

“Be My Baby” – The Ronettes

Okay, hear me out– We all wanted to be Baby in Dirty Dancing, and since I have no ability to dance whatsoever, this spectacular jam is the closest I get. Man, is it the right way to do so! I don’t care that this is the cheesiest possible song I could’ve chosen. It’s one of those songs that just feels like young love and good summers.

“Soulmate” – Lizzo

The first time I heard this song, it was one of those things that hit different because I needed to hear it. If you’ve never had the pleasure, I highly encourage you to jam this as you dance ridiculously in public! The idea of the song is that you forget about relying on other people and just being your own soulmate. It also gives me Queer Eye vibes, which fun fact, they actually did end up doing a feature on the song, so please do yourself a favor and look it up!

“Mr. Redundant” – Rainbow Kitten Surprise

This is one of those songs that I feel like if more people knew, it would be played a lot more. If I’m sad, I play this song. If I’m waiting in line at the grocery store, I play this song. If I’m trying to beat my personal record while running, I play this song. I cannot emphasize how fitting this song is for every mood. It’s also one of those songs that doesn’t have a real meaning. All I need to know about it is that it makes me feel good! When I’m on my way to class at 8 a.m., it gives the comfort I’m looking for. What more could I ask for?

“You and I” – Lady Gaga

I’m incredibly biased because this is my go-to jam song that my sister and I listen to every single time we have any sort of rough day. More specifically, this was our quarantine car ride song when our main source of entertainment was just going for drives and listening to music. It’s a song that was made for you to scream to someone you’re going to love forever, and that hits different. There’s also a Cleveland version that I may or may not have on repeat for any and all car rides/future screaming sessions

“Signed, Sealed, Delivered” – Stevie Wonder

I’m convinced this song was written to be the eternal #1 dance song. Even if you’re not a big public dancer, you still need to rock out to Stevie Wonder declaring his unapologetic love to the world. I used to never be the type of person that would just dance in public, because “no one needed to see that.” However, you reach a point in any good playlist (or you run out of cares to give, whichever comes first) where you realize that you will never see these people again. They don’t care if you dance! And you know what? If it makes you happy, is it really harming anyone? You’re simply enjoying Stevie Wonder sending a letter of declaration to the one he truly loves, and who are you to deprive this man of that?

“Dreams” – Fleetwood Mac

When you think of vibey music, this song will forever be at the top of the chart. I became really obsessed with Fleetwood Mac in high school, and as smart as it was for me to impulsively get bangs, this was probably the better choice. In all sincerity though, if you’re having a bad day, pretty much any Fleetwood Mac song knows how to match your mood for the better and lighten your spirits at least a bit.

“Mess is Mine” – Vance Joy

This song is one of the most stereotypical teen film uplifting moment soundtrack songs! As absolutely cheesy as it is, it is super effective in giving me peace when I really need it. The lyrics feel very honest, almost like you’re talking to your friends from high school about how different things are. I know that’s very specific, but the first time I heard it I was maybe 17 or 18 and was going through a phase of acceptance and understanding that things were changing. I think they still are, and they still will be for a while now. Though, I think that’s when it kind of dawned on me that I wasn’t going to be young and worry-free again. I highly encourage you to use this playlist slot as a song you use to breathe and feel absolute comfort. We could all use it right about now.

“Man! I Feel Like a Woman” – Shania Twain

I’m convinced this song is the 1997 version of “God is a Woman,” and it’s still just as much, if not more of a jam! It’s also one of those songs that I feel like it’s just wrong to not sing along to. Like this was the female anthem of the ’90s, and Shania Twain just took over. (And we let her!) This was in a time where it was so much harder to promote music before it was out, so she just released it unexpectedly. Imagine waking up and casually hearing this song before going to work. You’d have to call in sick and take the day to properly recover and give this classic the dance session it requires.

“So What” – P!nk

So basically, my mom got the Funhouse album when I was about nine years old, and nine-year-old me was not prepared for the reign that this song would hold over me. It’s one of those songs that I’ve heard so many times that it’s not even one of my favorites anymore, but I still have to listen to it every time it’s on. Plus, I just think it’s a good playlist filler for when you’re just trying to vibe, not necessarily do anything, you’re just listening to it half-heartedly but still trying to have a lovely time!

“BANG!” – AJR

I have a rather large obsession with this band, so it felt only appropriate that I put at least one of their songs on here! Feel free to use this as a filler for another one of your favorite bands’ songs! This one in particular focuses on the middle ground between being a kid and being an adult and how at a certain age between 18-22 years old, where you’re in college and supposed to be an “adult,” we’re actually kind of just mimicking the actions of things real adults are supposed to do. Ultimately, adulthood is going to hit at some point, so you may as well go out with a bang and enjoy being an “adult” while you can. Now please enjoy my cheesy way to conclude this playlist, because we need to go out with a “BANG!”

I feel like we could all use a bit of a distraction during the day, so I encourage you to take a nice walk, look at the clouds or maybe even take your insanely hyper-active little puppy for a walk (not speaking from personal experience or anything, of course). Happy walking, everyone!

Kristin Berchak is a senior Digital Media Production major. She works as a showrunner for an entertainment show for TV2, The Blurb, loves running, writing, reading, baking, creating and just staying busy! She loves movies and television (and far too many baking shows!) She is very excited to work as an editorial member for HerCampus at Kent State University!