Culture > News

11 Inspiring Women In Politics You Should Be Keeping Up With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Despite the fact that only 5% of nations are currently run by a woman, there is no doubt that in modern politics women are showing everyone how badass they can be. In 2019, the top four spots on Forbes’ “Most Powerful Women” list went to female political leaders. Those women currently oversee over $50 trillion in GDP and more than 3.5 billion people. However, we should not forget about the women making waves on smaller stages. That being said, here is a list of 11 inspiring women in politics you should be keeping up with.

Michele Lujan Grisham

First on the list is Michele Lujan Grisham. In 2018, she became New Mexico’s first Democratic woman-of-color governor.

Ilhan Omar

Next is Ilhan Omar. A familiar name for many, Omar was Minnesota’s first Somali-American legislator and also became the first woman of color from the state to be elected to Congress. Omar, along with Democrat Rashida Tlaib, became one of the first Muslim woman elected to Congress.

Danica Roem

Danica Roem became the first openly transgender person to be elected and serve in state legislature in the country. She is also an amazing metal vocalist!

Kate Brown

Kate Brown became the nation’s first openly bisexual governor and the first person to be openly LGBTQ+ before her election.

Maura Healey

Democrat Maura Healey from Massachusetts became the first openly gay state attorney general elected as well as the first openly gay woman to be elected to any statewide office in the entire country.

Female Presidential Candidates

And last, but certainly not least, in 2019, the most women ever in history ran for president from one major political party (Democratic). Representative Tulsi Gabbard, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Senator Kamala Harris, Senator Amy Klobuchar, Senator Elizabeth Warren and Marianne Williamson all ran for the highest seat in the land. While, unfortunately, all dropped out of the race before the primaries, the fact that six women were able to have such large platforms is a testament to how far we have come as a country.

Augusta is a senior journalism major and business management minor with a passion for music journalism. This is her first semester working for Her Campus, and she is excited about everything the semester holds! She has been writing since before she knew how to read and has been a journalist since seventh grade. You can always find her tweeting/crying about One Direction, scrolling through TikTok or talking about how she never quite left her emo days behind. You can find more of her work here: http://augusta.mystrikingly.com/
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.