element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 underrated Christmas movies you’ve got to watch this year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It’s that time of year again! There are literally so many reasons why we love the holiday season. Peppermint mocha lattes. Christmas music. Decorating the Christmas tree. Seeing your neighbor’s Christmas lights. Getting to see the family members you don’t get to see very often. And, of course, our very favorite way to bring in the holidays – Christmas movies! There are so many classics we love, whether it’s “A Christmas Story” or “It’s a Wonderful Life”, but there are also so many great underrated movies to get you feeling the holiday spirit that are streaming on Netflix and Hulu. Be sure to check them out!

1. “Noel” (2004, Netflix) – Starring Penelope Cruz and Paul Walker, “Noel” follows the lives of three separate New Yorkers on Christmas Eve. As each struggles through their own difficult time, their paths eventually cross over the course of the night.

2. “12 Dates of Christmas” (2011, Netflix)  – After a disastrous blind date on Christmas Eve, Kate wakes up morning after morning to find that she keeps reliving that same day. Is there a way to make it stop?

3. “Dear Santa” (2011, Hulu) – Crystal stumbles upon a little girl’s letter to Santa, asking for a new mother two years after hers passed away. Crystal vows to herself to find this little girl and her father.

4. “Ernest Saves Christmas” (1988, Netflix) – Because who doesn’t love Ernest? Check out what kind of adventures he finds himself in this Christmas.

5. “Christmas, Again” (2014, Netflix) – Not everyone is ecstatic over the Christmas season. One man in particular spends his nights selling Christmas trees on the streets of New York. But when he meets a mysterious stranger, he takes a new outlook on life.

6. “Happy Christmas” (2014, Netflix) – Anna Kendrick’s character needs a fresh new start to life and what better time to do that than around the holidays?

7. “A Christmas Kiss” (2011, Netflix) – Trapped in an elevator, a designer ends up kissing a stranger, who turns out to be her new boss’ boyfriend, making things incredibly awkward at work. To make matters worse, he doesn’t even recognize her.

8. “The Christmas Card” (2006, Netflix) – This Hallmark original film follows the story of a soldier on leave for the holidays. While in Afghanistan, he receives a Christmas card that takes him somewhere unexpected.

9. “Holiday Engagement” (2011, Hulu) – After an unexpected breakup, and not wanted to show up home alone for the holidays, a woman hires an actor to pose as her fiance.

10. “A Christmas Wish” (2011, Hulu) – Starring Kristy Swanson, a woman’s husband leave her and their children homeless and without any money just before Christmas. They find themselves taken in by the owner of a local diner.

Lauren Milligan is a senior English major at Kent State University. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a content creator for the Odyssey. When she's not scribbling in her journal, sipping coffee and writing at Tree City Coffee, she is probably feeding her horror movie obsession or hitting up local bookstores to contribute to the small library in her bedroom.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.