Style

10 Trendy Outfits to Get You Through the Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The winter season comes with cold weather, snow and the need to throw on your comfiest pair of sweatpants when you get dressed in the morning. Luckily, there are ways to dress both trendy and warm. From fur coats to leather jackets, with some material mixing in between, these 10 outfits are perfect for braving the dreaded winter weather. 

1. Leather Fur Coat

This adorable two material coat will keep you warm while also showing off your style. Pair it with an adorable beret, black booties and your cutest pair of boyfriend jeans for the perfect winter look. Macy’s has a trendy but less expensive version of this adorable jacket. 

Shop the Look: (click the picture to be directed straight to this item)

2. Sweater and high-waisted corduroy wide leg pants

Look out 90’s babies, corduroy pants are making their way back! These pants are breathable, while also being trendy. We love versatile pants that you can dress up, too! You can purchase a similar pair at Forever21 for under $20.

Shop the look: (click the picture to be directed straight to this item)

3. Layers, layers, layers!

One of the biggest trends for Winter 2019 is layering, and that’s what makes this outfit so cute! A nice gray coat pairs perfectly with your favorite pair of leggings and Hunter boots for a snowy day. 

4. Black sweater and jeans

Everyone needs a basic black sweater for the winter season. These are so comfortable, and they go with everything and accessorizing is so easy! My favorite is a simple stretch knit from Banana Republic, especially because of the adorable scallops around the neckline. Pair it with the gray coat from the previous outfit and your favorite skinny jeans to look cute and cozy!

5. Overalls, a chunky sweater and tights

Practically any trend forecast you find will have overalls at the top of the list. They aren’t for everyone, but definitely seek out a pair and try them on. Paired with a pair of printed tights and your favorite chunky sweater, you’re sure to be the trendiest one in your group! This overall dress from Forever21 is inexpensive, and it also comes in red for your springtime outfit!

6. Chunky white sweater and bell bottoms

Everyone needs a cable knit sweater in their life, especially in the bitter cold! My preference is white or cream since it’s so neutral, but if you follow the “no white after labor day” rule you can purchase it in a light brown! My favorite thing about this sweater from Banana Republic is that it also comes in petite sizes for us short girls out there!

7.  A mustard sweater and blanket scarf

Mustard has been a top color choice for years, and I’m not sure it will ever go out of style! If you’re needing a pop of color in what is otherwise a plain outfit, throw on a mustard cardigan! Paired with a blanket scarf, this outfit is guaranteed to be one of the coziest on this list! Luckily with cardigans, you don’t have to worry about sizing so shopping a secondary site such as Zulily can help save you money. 

8. Long overalls and a sweater

Like I said earlier, overalls are all the rage this season. Pair these corduroy overalls with a cozy sweater, and you’ll definitely beat the cold and look cute doing it. Brands like Urban Outfitters and Madewell were practically made for this trend, so that was the first place I shopped when searching for a pair. This cute pair from Urban only comes in navy, but I’m sure it will be available in more colors as the trend takes off! 

9. Fuzzy coat and all black

Who doesn’t love an all-black ensemble? The best way to go from plain to trendy is to throw on a big fuzzy coat. Not only are you practically wearing a blanket, but this coat is also super popular right now. They come in every color imaginable, but I went for a neutral so it could pair it with my other outfits. 

10. Cowl neck sweater, jeans and thigh-high boots

Who says your “going out” boots can’t be used in an everyday outfit. They’re cute, sensible (as long as you find flat ones) and it gives you an extra layer on your legs to keep you warm! These boots typically come in black, brown and taupe, so purchase whichever color you feel will best match your closet! 

Next time you crawl out of bed and go to throw on your sweatpants refer back to this guide for outfit inspiration! What are some of your favorite winter staples? Comment below! 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.