This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The Hunting Ground

This documentary is about sexual assault on college campuses and how the victims face harassment and retaliation from the schools. As well as focusing on two girls determined to bring stronger Title IX laws to college campuses everywhere.

Blackfish

Want a good reason not to go to SeaWorld? Watch this documentary on the Killer Whale named Tilikum, who has been in captivity at SeaWorld for years and how being held in such a small pool is slowly but surely killing him.

To the Bone

Watch Lily Collins deal with her anorexia in this Netflix original movie. It shows her countless attempts at recovery homes only to find out that none of them are helping. Eventually she gets sent to a new recovery home and is slowly learning to overcome what she thought would be the thing to kill her.

The True Cost

Find out what price the sweat shop workers have to pay for fast fashion in this documentary. The True Cost talks about the industry, such as who is supporting these unlawful conditions and who is turning their backs to the lives of their workers.

13th

In this documentary learn how the prison systems are unequal to African-Americans and takes a deeper look into the racial inequality in our country. It explains how America imprisons 25 percent of the world even though the US only makes up 5% of the population.

Tricked

This is a documentary talking about human trafficking in North America. They follow every person involved in the sex trafficking world. From the girls being trafficked, the pimps, the people buying them for sex and the police. This shows the side of prostitution you don’t know.

Audrie and Daisy

This documentary follows two girls who don’t know each other, but they have lived very similar lives. They’re both sexually assaulted in high school by people they considered friends. They are shamed for it by their classmates and the community. Unfortunately, only one is alive to tell her story.

Forks over Knives

Scientist dive into why giving up a meat filled diet and switching to a plant-based diet can help save your life by fighting against diabetes and cancer. It follows real life success stories, as well as researchers who have dedicated their lives to helping save others.

The Traffickers

In this series each episode is covering a different thing that is trafficked in the global black market, such as rhino horns, human organs, gold and children. They follow the people selling these items and those that are trying to take it all down.

Newtown

This film focuses on the aftermath of the Newton shootings. It’s a very personal movie focusing on the parents, brothers, sisters and more affected by the shooting. It shows how the community came together despite what had happened to rise above.

A sophomore at Kent State University majoring in journalism with a minor in fashion media. I love to workout and hang out with friends and hike! I love reading and writing about fashion, health, and relationships and how to balance your life in college.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.