This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Vivienne is his full name, Mr. Viv for short. Mr. Viv is the first cat I have ever had and I don’t know where I would be without him. I got Mr.Viv during the emotional distress of my freshman year in college. My mom and I rescued him as a kitten, she claimed it was “ours” or more so her cat, but that wasn’t the case.

He quickly became the thing that got me through the statistics exam or brought me joy after a double at Chipotle (God, what a time). I feel like he has made me very content just hanging out by myself, well I guess I’m not alone, but you get the point. When I explain to people how much I love my cat, I always have to pull up my favorite pictures and videos of him. I’m like that mom with the newborn baby, you have to just smile and listen, even if you think her baby is ugly.

Here are ten reasons why I love my cat.

he is so beautiful

I mean, look at his soft coat and pretty eyes

He picks his people

If Viv doesn’t like you, yikes. He is social and shy at the same time, kinda depending on his mood. If he doesn’t like you and he sees you walk through the door or hears your voice, he will run away with an attitude. 

Sometimes he just looks at me like, “Why did you let this person in my house?”

However, he does love some of my friends and it’s truly adorable.

He’s Entitled

I don’t even know where to start with this one. He will get what he wants and doesn’t feel sorry about it. He lets you know when it’s treat time, he will trick you into giving him soft food, he will make whatever he wants a toy.

He lays on my clothes, even when they are fresh and clean.

He holds his entitlement proudly by sitting up so proper and pretty.

Entitlement is usually froned upon but I find it charming in my cat. 

He never fails to let you know if he’s mad

Oh, Mr. Viv can be a grudge holder. If you make him mad he will ignore you, and sit at the doorway of your room and have his back turned.

Do you want to get up and pet him? No chance. If he sees you coming he will get up, do a jog lightly to get away and then proceeds to walk away with SUCH an attitude.

He loves belly rubs

I get home from school or a long shift and, I promise you, I am not allowed to do anything without giving him attention.

He will come up to you whenever he decides it’s time for attention and will meow, throw himself on the ground and roll over on his belly, giving you the honor to pet him.

He loves naps

No explanation needed.

He is not afraid to tell you what he wants

This goes along with the entitlement aspect of his personality. He is a very vocal cat. I mean, sometimes I feel like my social battery is drained because of how much this cat talks.

He will chase you around this house and he has different meows for different requests.

His long drawn out meow is when he is in “need” of treats or soft food.

He has a meow that is almost like a call or a loud purr, that means he wants to be loved.

He has an annoying obsession with straws

This damn cat. I had covid shortly after I first got him and he was in bed with me for fourteen straight days. He is a very obesservant cat, he loves to watch you and what you do. Therefore, he learns your habits and trys to mimick those habits.

In quarantine he learned how a straw worked.

Now anytime I have a straw, I have to either taken with me wherever I go in the house or watch my cup like a hawk.

He has indeed spilled my full smoothie all over my floor and couch right before I had to leave for class.

He only drinks water out of a cup

Again, the observance has got him interested in drinking out of cups, he will only drink from cups.

He had a fountain water bowl and never considered drinking from it, it was beneath him

I have to give my friends water bottles or cups with lids when they come over because he will help himseld to anyone’s glass of water.

I promise I am not kidding when I say he comes running when he hears the Brita filling my glass of water. He even has his own cups at my mom’s house, ready for whenever he comes over.

He is my soulmate

I don’t I have something that brought me so much joy and happiness like this cat has brought to me. He’s my bestie.

I literally made an instagram just to show off all these pictures of him in this article.

Melina Cavella

Kent State '24

Hi! My name is Melina Cavella, and this is my first year being involved with Her Campus. I am currently a Fashion Merchandising at Kent State University. Her Campus has given me a new found enjoyment for writing, and I constantly feel encouraged by the amazing women that are in this chapter with me!