The 10 Movies That Will Make You a Fashion Expert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

This is for those of you who are fashion majors looking to enhance your knowledge about the field you’re in, or if you’re just a fashion enthusiast who loves to know the “ins and outs” of the industry. Even for those of you who just love to look at how everything in fashion came to be, here are the Top 10 Movies you need to watch. Whether you’re inspired by Manolo Blahnik’s passion for shoes in “Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards”, or you’re highly impressed by all the work behind the MET Gala in “The First Monday of May”, these movies are sure to make you a fashion expert. 

1. Breakfast At Tiffany’s

From the fabulous hats to her funky sleep mask, this movie is an absolute CLASSIC. Starring Audrey Hepburn, this movie is what made “the little black dress” a staple for many women (especially after seeing it on Hepburn). The little black dress in the movie was desired by every woman. It was designed by the French Designer, Hubert de Givenchy. A lot of popular fashion statements started from this movie, so it is a definite first choice. 

You can watch the trailer here

2. The September Issue

“The September Issue” is a documentary following Anne Wintour, editor and chief of Vogue, as she and her team prepare for the the 2007 September issue of Vogue magazine. The movie shows you all the important things to know about working within a fashion magazine and what it takes to put together the most important issue of vogue. It is truly inspiring as well as informative. 

The trailer can be found here

3.   Dior and I 

A documentary the goes behind the scenes of the Christian Dior fashion house. Judging from the movie, it’s very stylish, colorful and definitly extremely stressful. Welcome to the world of fashion design. 

Watch the trailer for this documentary here.

4. Coco Before Chanel 

The movie “Coco Before Chanel” is a beautiful movie about the life of the infamous Coco Chanel. A seamstress during the day and entertainer by night, we follow Coco’s daring style choices and get a glimpse at her love life. It is a must see for any Chanel lover. 

Check out the trailer here

5. The First Monday in May

Have you every wanted an invitation to the MET Gala? This documentary is probably the closest any of us will get. Taking you through the making of the MET Gala, and even the behind the scenes, you will be amazed at what it takes to makes this night “The Superbowl of social fashion events.” Not to mention you will be completely starstruck! This film is currently available on Netlfix!

Here is the link to the trailer.

6. Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards

Shoes, shoes and even more shoes. Take an inside look at Monolo Blahnik’s deep love for footwear and why he is considered one of the greats. You will fall in love with Monolo as a person with his bubbly personality and how he changed the fashion industry when it came to fancy footwear. His colorful character refelcts directly into his work, and it will make you wish you had a pair of Monolos on right now. This is also currently available on Netlfix.

This is trailer for the film.

7. The True Cost

Where do clothes come from? How much does it all cost? All your questions will be answered in this documentary about the labor and cost of the clothing industry around the world. This movie is a necessity for any fashion major to truly understand what is going on in the industry you are wanting to work in. Here’s a real wake up call for us consumers. “The True Cost” is available on Netlfix now.

Catch the trailer here

8. House of Z 

Every heard of Zac Posen? Maybe you heard something good, but also something bad. Zac Posen started out very successful at a young age, and this documentary follows his rise and his deep fall and his rise again. This is the true dark side of the fashion industry. Find this documentary on Netflix now.

Watch the trailer here.

9. Jeremy Scott: The People’s Designer

Watching come-up stories are always the most inspiring. Here is one following the life of Jeremy Scott, creative director of Moschino. Watch a small town boy from Missouri become a global fashion icon. You can watch his story on Netflix now.

If you’re curious, here is the trailer. 

10. The Gospel According to Andre

Darling, this is a must see. Andre Leon Talley, an American fashion journalist, is a staple in the fashion world, especially for people of color. Being one of the first black fashion icons, the documentary follows his come-up in life and how he became one of the most influential and exciting icons of the fashion world. This is currently available on Hulu.

Check out the trailer for this documentary here.

Hi there! My name is Maria Sahlani. I am majoring in Fashion Merchandising with a double minor in Marketing and Fashion Media. I have a deep passion for fashion and also have a huge and (expensive) obsession with makeup. My many joys in life revolve around travel, food, music, and art. Most importantly I am a strong, empowered, opinionated- and stylish- woman and I strive to live a life that lifts women up in a world that tears them down.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.